2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New 04 GT Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Default New 04 GT Convertable

Hi, I am new to the forums.

I just bought a new '04 GT Convertable Spyder last month.

While, I am happy with the overall performance of this car, I was wondering what 'improvements' I could do that wouldn't be overly pricey.

The first thing that comes to my mind is prolly adding turbo or a supercharger, but I cannot locate any information on where to begin with those.

I am not too knowledgable in car mechanics, as I just started working on cars this year in my spare time.

So basically, my question is, can/should I install turbo/supercharger and how do I find resources to help me / purchase.

Secondly, what other 'tweaks' should I be looking into?

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Default RE: New 04 GT Convertable

humm... well overly pricey as in what range...

found some stuff to do to the V6 and it is kinda pricey...

full header exhaust, supercharger, race exhaust tip, cold air intake, fule pump with new injectors, spark and wires.

just some things that come to mind... there are a few sites that peeps on here told me about... but have not been able to find a "best price" yet... so... here is one site to go off of....

our car style is kinda new but the engine format is: 6G72

GT huh... your pushing 190hp stock so not bad... but what I know about build up for a bike is... first you let it out then you suck it in... work on the exhaust first and see better gains... then you have to work on intake... stage one supercharger will put you at around 300ponies for about 3g's but a header sys is almost a must...

just the headers will bump you up 30-40(claimed) and with an intake... can only guess about 5-10 more... still cost around 1300bones for all that though.

check out this site if you want some more info.... Linky

Old 09-28-2004, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the info.

So I should basically start with replacing the headers and add a cold air intake?

Do I need to replace the exhaust as well, when I repace the header?

3k for a supercharger, ouch.

All in all, say that I do replace the header, add cold air intake and get a supercharger, will this wear on the engine at a faster rate?

I believe the stock HP is 210

I found this on the net but have never heard of it, you think it's bogus or will it actually add an improvement?
http://www.spiralmax.com/

Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:00 PM

210? you have a GTS or a GT?

dont know for sure but I think that the GTS (mine) is rated at 210 and the GT is rated at like 190-195ish... but I have not seen the true numbers for either so... how knows...lol

as for the exhaust... I think that the header bolts up to the stocky but I would just change that as well....

as for wear on the engine... I would only assume so... any mods you do to a bike, car, truck wear on the engine faster then stock... but... dont think that it is that bad... I do know that if you start putting out those kinda ponies the stock clutch will not have a fun time tryin to handle it... mine went out and my car is stock... so... might want to check into that aspect aswell...

any who... I am not the top notch guy on here or with an eclipse... just getting into it. so I would check out some stuff, there are alot of site that have things for us... I have just started to look into it and that is what I have found... winter time I work on the car and summer is all about the bike... so... we shall see where this takes us huh... lol

KIT and let me know how things go... maybe we can help eachother out...

L8TR bro...

Xtrm

Old 09-28-2004, 05:03 PM

sorry... as for the spiral thing... i do believe that it is quite similar to the tornado thing you see on TV... dont trust any of it my self.. but do not have any expo to it... maybe it works but maybe not...

I would not waste my flow on it for a 2hp gain and 5miles in gas... just through on an intake and that should match and beat that out by far...

just my $0.02 though....

Old 09-28-2004, 05:49 PM

I think the GT and GTS have the same block specs.
GTS add's variable induction, anti-locks, leather and better stereo

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net):
GS - 147@5500
GT - 210@5750
GTS - 210@5750

Displacement (liters):
GS - 2.4
GT - 3.0
GTS - 3.0

Torque (lb-ft @ rpm):
GS - 158@4000
GT - 205@3750
GTS - 205@3750

I hear ya with that. I think I am going to start with the header, exhaust and intake mods.
The super-charger (want at least the level 2) is too pricey for me this year, but maybe when I get back from vaca in March I can find the dough for that.

The other mod that I really need is a telescoping steering column. If I adjust the steering wheel to my level of comfort, the wheel rests on my legs, which slightly obstructs my pedal manueverability.

Thanks for the links to that RIPP site, their super-charger looks top line.

Let me know how your mods come out or if you find anything cool. What year is yours?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:51 PM

cool!!! thanks for the stats... where did you find them... I was lookin every where last week to find my stock stats... damn.... lol

2003 hardtop GTS I love it... cept for the clutch being gone and it not moving for the last 2 months... lol. glad winter is here now lol...

Old 09-30-2004, 02:47 PM

I got the stats off the Mistubishi website.

Good luck with that.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:54 PM

LMAO... the only place I did not look... duh... that was dumb of me...

thanks bro