2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

New to modding and mitsu's....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Default New to modding and mitsu's....

Hello

Right now I'm looking at a 1999 Mitsu Spyder GS convertible. It has 58k miles and a manual trani. Whoever had it got rid of it cause there are two triangle metal brackets riveted to the main frame of the roof. These little brackets are responsible for holding the roof liner in place and the shape of the outter roof. The only solutions I know of are to manually fashion new brakets or salvage yard and then they still have to be re riveted. Has any one else had this problem???

1. Are there replacement ECU chips to remove the governers. This monster does 90mph in 4th gear then 5th only takes it to 110mph, just barely, and it just starts whining at me. I KNOW an engine that does 90mph in fourth can get up higher than 110mph. There are no strange knocking noises, it runs fine. The engine has been pressure tested in every way possible and 2 seperate mechanic shops have checked it out and say it's a strong engine and trani. This is my third stick and it's the best one I've had yet. Except it seem to be having some sort of trouble realising its potential.

2. Can I add a Turbo and/or super charger to the GS engine???? From what I gather it's the same engine as the GS-T except without the Super Charger. Will it be a problem adding it to the GS engine??? The GS-T has the upper end charger. Can I ALSO add a lower end charger???

3. Is it a problem adding one of them cold air intakes. Is that the same thing as an intercooler??

4. Are there production aftermarket things like aluminium axels and aluminium drive train parts to lighten the car up??? If so where can I get such things??? If I could get it down from 3100 pounds to 2000 pounds that alone would be a monster maker

Thank you to ever one who takes the time to read this. As I've never modded a car and everyone here in the stix LOVES this American garbage, so there's noone local to help me.

I'm a used car salesman so i deal with all different kinds of cars all day long. Anybody who tells you they prefer American for ANY reason is just undereducated and misinformeds. The problem out here is mostly that ppl litsen to their granddady and their pa and have old info.

Most all we sell is ford and you don't know how sick it makes me when somebody passes up a 2002 Sentra and says "gimme that 2000 tarus over there". And they're willing to pay MORE for the Tarus. If only you knew how many ford turas tranies we buy ever month The owners manual should say "replace transmission every thirty thousand miles"

God forbid you try to educate these idiots. They go down the street and by Fix Or Repair Daily somewhere else

Sorry I just had to get that off my chest. These idiots make me wanna cry

But thanks for reading and thankyou for taking the time to help

Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned
Default RE: New to modding and mitsu's....

WOW uber questions... ok il start from 1.

1) I have never heard that problem and nor do i know how to go about fixing it.

2) There are NO governmetns.

3) You can add a turbo to it but i dont recomend it if your not good with cars. The GS does NOT have the same engine as the GST. The GS has the 420a and hte GST has the 4G63. Also the GST is not a super charged car... its a turbo charged car. If you want a turbo eclipse then buy a GST or a GSX... dont turbo a GS because if you dont know your way round cars well you will pay massivly. (There are turbo kits available)

4) I dont even know what you are talking abot with the upper and lower end chargers... please explain.

5) A cold air intake is for non turbo engines. It is simply a pipe that has a filter on the end and hte other end of hte pipe leading to the throttle body... the objective is to increace flow and feed cooler air to the engine making more hp. An intercooler however is very different. These are found ONLY on turbo cars and the boost the turbo creates runs through the intercooler mounted in a high air flow place... and the wind rushing by it cools the intercooler and the air in it before taking it back to the engine. They are totally different!

6) With a GS i dont think they sell those in many places. I dont know of any. However i do know that they sell exactly those types of things for the turbo models. GST+GSX.

If you have any desire to turbo it ... just sell it and get a GST or a GSX.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:56 PM

Thank you so much Sebba

My understanding was that a turbo charge boosted you at low RPM and a super charger boost you at high RPM. This is what I meant by upper and lower chargers. Is this a misundrestanding???? I believe it was a GT3000 I saw TWO chargers on and it sounds like a jet engine starting up. The guy who owned it drove it like a little old lady and never broke ninty. That poor car

I think what you're saying in #6 is that I can get aluminium parts for the GST and GSX??? is this what you mean???

Unfortunatly they don't sell the convertible in GSX

So what you're sayin is that if I wanna trick out a convertible I should just go ahead and look for the GST convertible???

The lightening the frame is very important to me. I need a very light FAST convertible because I have this meeting with death I'm trying to keep

I haven't bought it yet but I get to drive it everyday cause I work where it's for sale and I use it to get lunch everyday. The girls at the fruit stand who usta just smile now became all talkative since I've started pullin up with the top down and this isn't helping me resist the urge to buy it Just they just didn't wanna talk to the guy in the company minivan

So if I wanted to torbo charge it I'd havta and an intercoller???

Basicly what you're saying is that to turbo a non turbo engine is a major pain???

I won't be doing the work myself. I have a mechanic with his own track only cars. The only thing that worries me is that he races American and has no experience modding foriegn. He's been racing for twenty plus years so maybe it doesn't matter.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:00 AM
Banned

The 3000GT is twin turbo. They kick in together at the same time and run all the way to the redline

Yes thank you that was my missunderstanding. No thay dont work like that though.

Yes they do sell the aftermarket driveshafts for the GST and the GSX.

You could always get a GST Convertable (Spyder)

The turbo eclipses (GST-GSX) already has an intercooler. Its a small one that you cant see its on the passenger side in front of the wheel. This will need to be replaced with a front mount intercooler that is bigger once you have above 300hp,

Yes im sayin it WILL be a major pain... and very expensive (like 5000) If i was you i would never give any eclipse to a person that is only used to dealing with American cars. It is likely not to end pretty.

My point in that was that you should be able to at least know how to do it yourself that way every time you have a small problem you can take care of it yourself instead of running back and fourth to a mechanic. If you dont understand something on your car but you want to modify and make it faster.... i suggest learn about it first. It will save you money and time in the long run!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

OK sebba you are already wrong on #3. Come on, you of all people should know this by now. His car does NOT have a 420a. It is a spyder therefore it came with the 4g64 engine. And these engines have been turbocharged before without a problem, except your gonna need to build up the motor if you plan on doing it.

If you plan on doing a turbo kit in the car then your gonna have alot of research ahead of you because it is not a cheap nor a beginer mod to be doing. So please reaserch before you do anything pertaining to getting a turbocharger. It is possible though.

This whole lightening thing is not a good idea. Especially with the convertable you dont want to weaken the car because you already have no roof support so they are already heavier than a normal eclipse for a reason, because they need the extra support. And as for trying to get the car that light, its not gonna happen nor would it really make a difference unless you build this thing into a track car, which i dont advise with a convertable anyway.

And there are plenty of aftermarket parts for your car as far as exhaust and the basics. Just look around.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Banned

Crap i thought he had a normal GS... whoops thanks for that one! I really need to read the post better lol.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM

Thank so much

I spent all last night looking into this and it does look expensive and time consuming

The sticky at the top of the forum about where to begin the mod of the GS says that Hahn Racecraft sells torbo kits for turning the GS into a turbo. I didn't see the kit on their site but it was the most informative site I found so far, they have a start to finish walkthrough with lots of pictures, and is deffinantly the place to go it you're upgrading an existing turbo. They were talking about turbo proformence specs on the 420a engine so I'm guessin this is the place I emailed them about trubo conversion kits and what the cost and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

From what I can figure out on their site I think it's gonna be as simple as getting the proper head or manifold or whatever it is you call the part the turbo mounts on and then getting the parts for the turbo system. Since, like Sebba says, and I discovered last night, you havta change out the intercooler ANYWAY and I was gonna change out the turbo itself anyway this may not be a bad way to go. You gotta change a few other things like the exhuast head pipe manifold thingy but again that's another part that was comin out with or without a turbo. I'm waiting to see what the guys at Hahn racing say.

I've changed exhaust heads and valve cover gaskets and replaced front ends and cv axels and other assorted stuff like that. So I have a basic knowledge of mechanics. This will be the first time I'm doing anything other than a OEM replacement. But yeah Sebba the taught of leaving any asian car with an american mechanic does turn my stomach. We have one mechanic at work who is asian and knows LOTS about asian cars from what we've discussed. I haven't talked to him about what he knows about modding them but he knows all the oem stuff real good. I haven't even talked to him yet about it though, I don't know him all that well yet cause we just started using his shop. One of the fringe benifits of selling used cars at an independent dealership is that you get to know lots of guys who own there own shops I've looked at moding b4 but have never seriously considered it b4 now becuase its not the kind of thing you wanna do by yourself in the driveway with a haynes manual and a flashlight Now that I'm developing relationships with shop owner who we send alot of work to it's actually becoming something realistic and obtainable to mod my car It's something to consider if you are having trouble realizing your dream of having a monster street machine

Engineer I wasn't talking about lightening the body itself, for the same reasons you pointed out, but I was thinking I could get things like the steering arm bars that hold the wheels on made out of lighter alloys. Maybe an lighter engine block or head or somethin. It's probably aluminium already And parts like that aluminium drive shaft you're talking about. Where can I get one of those???

I can't find the site with all the tech specs that told me it's the 4g64 engine. The tech specs at the top of the page wouldn't work last night Where can I find these???

Again thank you all for your time

Old 10-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

Well it is expensive and time consuming. Trust me... its never a bolt on afair. Its always problems with tuning or the engien not running right. You will save money if you buy a GST or a GSX and you will have a faster and more reliable car!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

what do you mean the tech specs. What type of stuff are you looking for? Hahn does specialize in the 420a engine, but thats not what you have. You have a mitsubishi 4g64 engine in that. Which was also used in the 3g GS/RS eclipse's. There will be plenty of places that sell turbos and manifolds and stuff for that engine. But since the market isnt really big for the spyder to be turbocharged your gonna have a tough time finding a place that will have an entire kit. So you might have to have some fin making one (if that is your plan anyway). What are your intentions/goals with the car too? because thats really the first thing to note before deciding on mods for it.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

http://4g64.150m.com/ read up some stuff here. I was looking around and found it. I only read a bit, but it seemed reputable.

Quick Reply: New to modding and mitsu's....