2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Newbie with 99 Eclipse questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Default Newbie with 99 Eclipse questions

Hi guys. I just joined the forum. I can't believe how easy it was to find a good forum! Anyway, I have a 99 Eclipse GS, just a 2 liter, 16 valve non-turbo motor. I'm at 78 k miles. For some reason at cold startup and sometimes even after it's ran for a while, I've got some kind of vibrating noise up front like a metal on metal vibrating sound. When I first start up, I can rev it and here it at the peak of the rpms, and then it quits. Then, when I'm accelerating from a stop it starts doing it and then at like 30 mph, it abrubtly stops. Could it be rockers tapping?

I also had this belt that had been squeeling for the longest time when I would idle. When you accelerate, the squealing stops but then idle again or coasting, squealing comes back. It's stopped squealing now. The belt was 60 bucks and was replaced 2 years ago. What's up with it?

Old 03-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Default RE: Newbie with 99 Eclipse questions

well welcome to the site.... does the car have a aftermarket intake??

Old 03-19-2006, 12:56 AM

Sounds like an exhaust shield or something as far as the rattle. Have someone assist you or manually activate the throttle with the cable while you listen. If it's from the bottom end- it may be a rod knock in which case you should have someone more qualified give it a listen. The 420's are NOT really known for lifter noise.
As for the belt- there have been TSB updates involving a wider AC tensioner (for those that have AC) as well as an improved power steering pump bracket. The PS bracket is thicker where it mounts to the engine in attempt to align the pump with the harmonic balancer. Earlier models years were known to throw the PS belt completely off ALOT and other TSB's involving adding shims to the old bracket were unsuccesful. If you do NOT have the updated PS bracket AND AC tensioner (if you have AC)- your PS/AC belt may wear prematurely and also be prone to squeekage. Good luck!

Joel, CA

Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 AM

Thanks guys. Well, about the only aftermarket part in the car besides the stereo system is a K&N air filter. If I made more, I'd do more with the car, but my other hobbies take it all up.

Yes, the car does have AC and I've had Mitsubishi mechanics say they tightened the belt up and it shouldn't squeek anymore, but alas it did and now all of a sudden it doesn't. A guy at Autozone thought my idler wheel was going bad.

Thanks for the input. It sounded like something on the exhaust rattling to me to. I'll have to investigate further.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Also how many miles have been put on the car since that belt was put on? 2 years is a decent time for a belt to last. It may just be time to have the belt changed again. Also like Joel said check for the TSBs and see if you have the updated bracket. Check your exhaust system for all the heat shields. See if any are loose. I had a rattle on ym Sentra from a heat shield (Of course it was cuz the heat shield nearly got riupped completely OFF by a tuck that dropped a U joint in the middle of the road... The bastard...). But the heat shield will also rust and start rattling on thier own.