2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

no power below 3500 rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Default no power below 3500 rpm?

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk so i bought an eagle talon tsi awd yesterday and it was prettttty sluggish when i test drove it, but figured it couldnt be too bad after a tune up, so i got lazy and only changed the plugs, and that seemed to help a little bit. Buttttt it wastes a rediculous amount of gas...im talking like....8 mpg....and anything below 3500 rpm just makes it seem like im chugging along...like starting from a dead stop in second gear...that feeling.....yeah.....any suggestions?[:'(]

Old 01-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Default RE: no power below 3500 rpm?

umm sounds like AWD to me lol. I know that when the car is not under boost and the RPMs are under 3K the car will vibrate and feel slow because the AWD. My EVO is like that under 2.5K it vibrates (like cant see out the mirrors) and then when it spools it moves.

other than that maybe try a new air filter to start with and go from there

Old 01-28-2006, 10:20 PM

no. awd doesnt take 8 mpg. something is wrong. It wont start sometimes when cold. thats not awd.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

no. awd doesnt take 8 mpg. something is wrong. It wont start sometimes when cold. thats not awd.
ok but the car ride rough at low RPMs I bet it is AWD. trust me it takes a little getting used to if you have never owned an AWD car. as far as it not starting like I said get the air filter replace and what about the check engine light is it on? does the car have any modds? maybe a feul pump\filter is needed or injector cleaner? sounds like a full tune up should be done first and then see where we are at after.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:36 PM

awd is a little different.. But if everything is running good, its not that big of a difference.. But if your turbo isnt spooling up as fast as it should, it may seem a little doggy at first.. How does your turbo sound once it spools up, or as its spooling up?

Old 01-29-2006, 04:07 PM

if it stil has a stock turbo there should be enough power below 3500 rpm, and 8mpg is horrible. id replace the plugs as well, and even do a compression test. if you have no/low compression in any cylinders you will be slow and get horrible gas mileage

Old 01-29-2006, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

if it stil has a stock turbo there should be enough power below 3500 rpm, and 8mpg is horrible. id replace the plugs as well, and even do a compression test. if you have no/low compression in any cylinders you will be slow and get horrible gas mileage
good point I didnt think about that[:-]

Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

awd is a little different.. But if everything is running good, its not that big of a difference.. But if your turbo isnt spooling up as fast as it should, it may seem a little doggy at first.. How does your turbo sound once it spools up, or as its spooling up?
AWD is completely different than FWD. going from a FWD eclipse to the EVO I would have thought my EVO had bad suspention cuz it vibrates more and it is a little more of a rough feeling to it but my buddies Talon was the same exact way. To me there is a big difference in the feel of low RPMs and 1st gear

Old 01-29-2006, 08:08 PM

i replaced the plugs the day i got it and it helped a little bit. It also has trouble staying alive when im trying to cold start it. It will go down to almost completely not running, then it will jump up to 1000 rpm and just juggle itself around like that. Im pretty sure the turbo is doing its job. I can hear it, and the boost gauge moves up and down depending on how much gas im giving it.

gahr. Im just gonna take it to a shop tomorrow. All this computer stuff confuses me. This is the newest car ive had. Ive had a '64 econoline, 81 rabbit, and an 87 toyota. I look under the hood of any of those cars and theyre relatively simple. But i look under here and its just an engine bay jammed full of crap that i dont know what to do about it because its all hooked up to the computer........

Old 01-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Im thinking the compression thing is right, though. How much will a rebuild cost me?

Quick Reply: no power below 3500 rpm?