2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

not overheating but gauge says otherwise

Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Default not overheating but gauge says otherwise

I let my car idle for about 10 minutes, the fan comes on and everything, the coolant tubes dont even seem that hot yet, but the temp gauge goes all the way up. I found a temp gauge with numbers in my garage. Its new, and i just need to know where i should put it.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Default RE: not overheating but gauge says otherwise

is your thermostat shot?

Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 PM

its brand new. I know its all working right. The fan even comes on and off, so i know its not getting so hot that it needs the fan on all the time...

Old 12-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Banned

something is wrong... is it touching on a hot part?

Old 12-10-2006, 07:08 AM

There are two temp sensors (possibley 3) and both (or 3) are on the thermostat housing. One is a single wire that is the temp sensor, the other is a dual wire that tells the ecu the temp to turn on the fans and the possible third is for the A/C fan.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

they all work the same way. Its like a variable resistor. Hot = the higher the voltage and less resistance. Cold = less voltage and more resistance. All thats happening here is there is more current going through the wire than what normally should.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

they all work the same way. Its like a variable resistor. Hot = the higher the voltage and less resistance. Cold = less voltage and more resistance. All thats happening here is there is more current going through the wire than what normally should.
I know and he may know too but his first post was asking where to put the sensor

Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

Yeah but unless its messed up... the new one will do exactly the same thing wont it?

Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 AM

True, but those sensors are cheap to begin with and he already has a replacement. On top of that, it makes no sense on why his gauge shows high but his car is acting like it's all good, unless the sensor is bad or the gauge is going bad or is bad or all three. There's really nothing around or that could be put close to it to make it read hotter than what the coolant is and if his car really was hot, the fans would stay on until the temps get below the fan's turn on temps.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 PM

Okay so i felt the thermostat housing below where the thermostat sits, and shes prettttty hot, so it actually is overheating. I got my thermostat at napa, and went online to check at what temperature this one opens. It says i have the one that opens between 192-195 degrees, but there is an option for one that opens at 180. Theyre both marked as "OE specified", and im not sure which one i should have....

SOMEBODY(silvercoupe) HAS to know this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: not overheating but gauge says otherwise