2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

not overheating but gauge says otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Default RE: not overheating but gauge says otherwise

and also, should the fan switch that plugs into the thermostat housing be above the thermostat where the coolant flows into the radiator, or below it where the coolant comes out of the engine?

Old 12-10-2006, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

Okay so i felt the thermostat housing below where the thermostat sits, and shes prettttty hot, so it actually is overheating. I got my thermostat at napa, and went online to check at what temperature this one opens. It says i have the one that opens between 192-195 degrees, but there is an option for one that opens at 180. Theyre both marked as "OE specified", and im not sure which one i should have....

SOMEBODY(silvercoupe) HAS to know this!
Either one actually, the first one is stock the second one just an option. Do you know which one you have in there now? I would remove what you have in there now (I know it's new, but it could be causing your issue) and put a 180 degree thermostat (it won't have negative affects during winter unless you live where it gets pretty low temps). There's not much to the cooling system other than the passages, coolant, hoses, and sensors. You could have a bad two wire coolant sensor (ECU sensor/fan switch), or you could have the wrong two wire coolant sensor in there (the A/C coolant sensor instead of the other one).

Old 12-10-2006, 09:11 PM

im boiling some water right now to test if it will even open. If not, ill go get an exchange for a 180 degree one

Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 PM

checked it, then went and exchanged it for another 192 degree one, then tested it. The new one works

but its still overheating. I think the sensor thats tells the fan to turn on is broken.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM

ok i ran the codes today and it said p0115 coolant temp sensor. In the chiltons, it says that code means ECT circuit malfunction. What does ect mean??

Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 PM

Ah, that means that one of your sensors are likely needing to be replaced. Unfortunately, they call all of those sensors "temp sensor" on the neck.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM

ive replaced the tiny one before, so i pretty much know which one it is. There are 2 right?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:58 PM

That's to the gauge. So, yeah, the other one is to the ECU. I believe that's the two wire sensor and sometimes there's 3 total. The tiny one and two of the two wired sensors (one for the coolant fan and a secondary for the a/c).
Give it a shot and change out that sensor, they're fairly inexpensive and may be your issue.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 PM

this one was 20 bucks. the ac will switch on the fan when i turn it on, so that one is already plugged in and working, wherever it is.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 AM

I went to napa today to get the sensor, but they gave me the wrong one, and it doesnt plug in at all, but i can get both fans to turn on just by unplugging the sensor.. I dont actually think its the sensors problem though. since the actual cooling system of the car is all mechanical (water pump, thermostat, radiator), as long as i can get the fans to stay on, it SHOULD stay cool right?
Im starting to think, even though im getting a code for the coolant temp sensor, that the real problem may be the water pump. Im not sure though.

Is there a way for the engine to overheat due to some electronic failure?

Quick Reply: not overheating but gauge says otherwise