2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

oil in my radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Default oil in my radiator

Hi guys. I have a 95 gst and im losing oil into the radiator bad. a couple days ago i changed my oil and noticed it was very low and nasty looking. The next day i checked my oil and it was very low and looked like it had a little bit of water in it but not much. I found that my radiator overflow was spewing out oil/coolant. i thought maybe i blew a headgasket but i did a compression test on all cylinders and they all checked out fine with 150 ibs to each cyclinder. Im not overheating, losing power, or smoking out the exhaust. The only two places i know where the oil and coolant run close together is in my turbo and stock oil cooler. Whats going on here? Iv looked my car over and cant figure this out.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned
Default RE: oil in my radiator

Head gasket : )

Look under your oil cap and see if you see a white goop.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks sebba. Should i try and use this stop leak headgasket repair on it first before i have one installed? And if i use it and it doesnt work, should i have the shop do anything else to the engine while its in there? im having them put on a timing belt for half price. Something inexpensive

Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Just the regular timing belt maintanance. That includes pulley, water pump, tensioner.. and the belt. You cant use the gasket repair.. because this gasket is under extreme pressure and its graphite.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 PM

Boost - Sebba has it nailed. You have blown a head gasket between one of the water jackets. No can of goo is going to seal that. Need to bite the bullet and have it fixed.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 PM

yea, i know someone who tried the repair stuff when theirhead gasket went bad, it dont work... and a head gasket is not that expensive or hard to change so just do it right

Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM

Before you go and tear the head off,

have you changed your oil recently? If you have, then you might have crushed the oil cooler. Seems like you know what's going on because you mentioned that earlier. A crushed oil cooler would give you the symptoms you described.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks guys. Im checking my oil cooler tomorrow before i take it into the shop to install the head gasket. Iv had to change the oil cooler gasket before because it busted and droped all my oil. Was there any reasoning as to why the rubber seal around the oil filter was melted completly the last time i changed my oil? Could one of the lines to the coolergotten blocked and later busted.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 AM

ok well i just paid 980 bucks to shave the head, pressure test, timing belt, etc.. Im still having the same damn problem. Could there be something bad in my 180K miles old T25 that could becausing oil to be pushed into my coolant?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 AM

i would say your turbo is allowing the oil to run thru your turbo into the coolant section and in return it is getting into your radiator. at the same time, your turbo leaking the oil... a bit of it could be burning off out into the exhaust and dissapearing that way. that was my first thought. before i read the whole thread... then since you are having the same problems after you rebuilt it... i would say you need a turbo. go buy a fpbig28 to replace it...

Quick Reply: oil in my radiator