2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

p0340 Runs...Stumbles...dies....(repeats)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Default p0340 Runs...Stumbles...dies....(repeats)

[hr]

So..heres the deal, the car is a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse gs, 420a engine, I was driving down the road, and noticed a big stumble, not a missfire, it was like the car died for a split second then continued running. then it started getting really bad, repeatively doing it then finally dying. Once it got bad it finally spit out a code p0340 (camshaft sensor circuit malf.) Once it died it would crank and crank, now I dont' know if it was a coincidence or not, but I 'wiggled and pulled' on the wires to the sensor (right before the sensor) and it started just fine. So I was thinking it could be the harness since the code stated a circuit malf., I replaced that and it starts to run for a longer period, but stumbles a couple times again. I get it home and check the circuit to the sensor just to see what's going on. I'm getting a 9v Power supply, "haynes says should be 12v" Traced it back to the ecu and still 9v, didn't seem like a big deal, maybe haynes is wrong (wouldn't be the first time). Anyways I replace the sensor for the hell of it and it runs for a longer period, then goes back to stumbling and then finally dying (repeats).
I'm stumped!

Are there any other points to check for that circuit? haynes is vague as hell! Any 2g owners here that have the actual manufacturs repair guide to test the entire circuit and determine whether its the ecu, etc.?

Oh and about wiggling the wires to get it to start, think that might be a coincidence because I can't seem to produce the same effect at idle by pulling on all the wires around the sensor to the ecu.

Thanks for any pointers, could use all the help I can get.[/align]

Old 09-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Default RE: p0340 Runs...Stumbles...dies....(repeats)

When you replace the camshaft poistion sensor, its good idea to also replace the crank pos. sensor.
They are both magnetic receptors that measure angle of cam timing and crank positing in relevance to cam timing.

You also may have a short in the harness, so start simple by checking for power and ground on other connectors, then check your body grounds.
At the pin terminal on the cam sensor, you should have 12 volts constant.
Ohm it out and see the resistance as well.