Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

runs then dies then no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Default runs then dies then no spark

I have a 94 Dodge Stealth with the non-turbo DOHC cam mitsubisi motor. It starts fine runs then after 10 or 15 minutes dies. After a brief rest runs starts and runs fine then dies etc. Not overheating and timing is spot on. Will crank just fine just has no spark. I have been told this is probably the computer. My mechanic has tested all the feeds into the ignitors and from the sensors and doesn't find any problems there and also thinks its the computer. I talked to one company and they said it probably was and I talked to another company the rebuilds them and they said it probably wasn't. Anyone have any insight on this problem? Really appreciate any advice. Thi

Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Default RE: runs then dies then no spark

Sounds like the computer to me.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Open up the ECU, if its bad you can usually smell it. It smells like rotton eggs, plus you can see **** burnt all over the place.

Do you have a check engine light?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 PM

My car is doing the exact same thing...pisses me off too. I cant go anywhere outside a 3 mile radious without it shutting off on me. Then I have to wait like 20-30 minutes before it even starts again.

How would I check the ECU? Is it easy to access? I'm a noob when it comes to cars.

rexbd...any idea if this was the problem for you? Sounds like we have the same issue. How much would it cost for a New ECU, or for it to be repaired?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

Do you have a check engine light?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 PM

It only comes on when the car dies on me. When it runs for the 10 mins or so, it is not on. Then as it shuts off, it goes on.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

Find out what code its throwing.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM

ok, i will get it checked and see what codes come up. Will you be able to tell by just providing the codes?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

Yup

Old 01-11-2008, 08:58 PM

This problem seems to boil down to either the ECU, Crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor since it is the these items working together that causes the ignitors to fire. We have checked the signal between the crankshaft sensor and ECU and Camshaft sensor and ECU. I don't think it is the sensors overheating as the engine stays plenty warm in the few minutes it takes for the car to restart after it has died. If it were the sensor then the car should die quicker the second time since the car is already warm and would reach the fail temperature quicker. I believe it is the ECU. The 94 and later ECUs did not have the capacitor problem early ECUs had, but they can still go bad. I believe there is something amiss with an electrical circuit overheating in the ECU that reads the signal from the crankshaft sensor and then sends the message to the ignitors to fire. I have talked to several vendors whose name I got from the stealth316.com website. They are willing to check out the computer and all it will cost is postage. Several sell rebuilts in the range of $195 to $250.

Quick Reply: runs then dies then no spark