2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Please help..

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 04:15 AM
Default Please help..

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=magenta size=1>I've got a couple problems with my car.. I just got it, it's my first car i'm 17... I have a 96 Mitsu Clipse.. GS.. it has tan and black int.. i want my whole interior black, so whats anyones advice on redoing it? I was thinking i could take it to the Mitsu dealership and have them take it out for me, but i dont know the best way to go about changing the color. Alot of people i know who have painted it , it started to chip and looked really crappy... So any advice on that is greatly appreciated.... also... somethings wrong with it when it comes to me being able to start it... it hasnt been driven much in the past year since my dad bought it before i had my license... and the battery was dead so i guess he got it like recharged or serviced, and it started fine for a day.. and now it wont even try to start. Is it my starter? I dont think anything could be drainign my battery and when the key does turn on the battery signal isnt lit up, but when i hook i tup to my brothers car to jump start it, it starts... any opinions?? I really appreciate any help you can give me!! Thanx.</FONT>

Old 09-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Default Please help..

IF the car runs fine after a jump, (no gradually dimming headlights or failing electronics)than it is most likely just a bad battery. Which is also a pretty easy thing to try replacing to see if it is the problem.

Starter and rely problems usually exhibit as the car not starting at all, even with a jump.

Alternator problems usually show themselves as running ok for a bit after a jump but the lights get dimmer as the battery charge is drained. Other electronics also go wacky as there is less "juice" to support them.

Lobster

Old 09-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Default Please help..

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=magenta size=1>Thanx for your post lobster. Well, the thing is, yesterday i moved my car, then i went to start it again a couple hours later the key wouldnt even turn on, no juice at all. So i hooked it up to this battery charger, it was on 10V for a good 20-25 min and still wouldn't start.It wouldnt even try tostart.Should i just go ahead and buy a new battery and new starter just to be on the safe side?? Or could it be my Alt too?</FONT>

Old 09-27-2003, 01:03 AM
Default Please help..

I'd start with a new battery and see where that gets you. If it is the alternator, it will run fine on the new battery for a bit and then start to fail again. Then you can replace the alt.

It doesn't really sound like a starter problem from your discription.

Check you battery charger, it could be one that has to charge the battery for several hours before trying to use it. If so, leave it on it over night.Then give it a try.