2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

PLEASE HELP ME START MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Default RE: PLEASE HELP ME START MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you checked on the CAM sensor yet? Not the CRANKSHAFT sensor, but the CAM sensor. It's on the...camshaft end. If it's not that, you have spark, fuel, and compression (hopefully, it's rebuilt). So, that rules out the ASD and fuel relays. This is a manual car right? The last possible thing that I can think of is the ECU.
Who did the motot removal/install? Are all the sensors plugged back in? Check and double check.
I'm also going to delete that other thread like this one. No need to go back and forth if both threads have answers in them.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: xp8ntballkid309x

Alright so i have a 1995 eclipse gs,non turbo 2.0 DOHC.. " 420a engine" w/ about 173,000 miles... but a rebuilt engine, and lots of mods.... The rebuilt engine has about 150 miles on it.. Ok my car wont start.. It cranks over but doesnt start.. I got a brand new Crank sensor in it and i put it on and it started for abuot 15 seconds idleing at 1000 rpm's but a CRAPPY IDLE then it died and wont start again., and when i turn the key the fuel pump works, and its gettting spark.. I looked at the plugs and they have gas on them so im guessing its getting gas.. What else can i look for? You think it can be out of time? PLease help me out .. ALL help is GREATLY APPRECIATED thanks-chris
ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Are you sure you have fuel and spark? Aside from the crank position sensor, there's also a cam position sensor that will cause poor idle that almost sounds like it's out of time. Since you've got many miles on your car, I would also suggest replacing the ASD and Fuel relay on the firewall. Those are exposed to a lot of heat, it won't hurt to replace them. There's a FAQ about them in the Eclipse forum.
How long has the gas been in the tank anyway?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 AM

well back to your perivious question, it really shouldnt be the timing because my cars timing was off 2 teeth and it just wouldnt start at all, you said it started. Maybe we are all thinking SENORS and should be thinking more of fuel filter or pump. Maybe fuel injectors are cloged and not getting fuel to a cylinder...just a couple thoughts

Old 06-15-2007, 12:15 PM

the car WONT START..... and when i look at the spark plugs they have fuel on them... But what does the CAM sensor look like so i can try and spot it thanks -chris... And were are the ASD and fuel relay? are they on the firewall by the stearing wheel?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:56 PM

k well i took my one cam sensor cover off and then theres another thing under it that u need a allen wrench should i take it off? and were are teh fuel injectors?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:49 PM

Well, is that allen head keeping you from removing the cam sensor? If it is, then I'm going to say...yes, you'll need to remove it, if it's not, then no.
The ASD, fuel, and ATX relays are on the firewall, right by the brake resevoir.
The fuel injectors are on the fuel rail.
Reading through these questions make me think that you don't have a Haynes or Chiltons manual. I suggest you get one because when I say check these sensors, on top of physically checking them, I also mean to electrically check them, as in with a multimeter.
Also, there are two types of timing that can allow a motor to start or not start and those two are motor timing and ignition timing. In any case, they both play off each other.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:10 PM

thanks but yea i dont have a repair manual.... but yea i replaced the cranks sensor, but not the CAM sensor... but yea um after i take off the one cover " that the wire connects to" with 2 10mm wrenches, and then i take it off and then theres a allen wrench thing , should i unscrew that? Butyea i found teh relays, and i have 2 cause its a manual... but i take the top part off and its like it has greese or somthign in the lil slots that the things plug into... idk if its normal or not... but yea i found teh injectors and stuff, but idk how to check em.. cause theres not enough room.. between them and the intake mainifold.. cause i have a sheet metal intake mainifold.. its big.. any more HELP THANKS

Old 06-16-2007, 12:30 PM

k i just got a repair manual... a haynes.... so if u wannna go specific nne one.. thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 12:18 AM

well if your sparkplugs are covered in gas, your car might just be out of time after all..when i couldnt get my car started, we discovered the spark plugs we soaked in fuel, and we checked the timing and fixed it then it ran. This is because you wouldnt be getting the right mixture and the spark plugs are not firing on time, more than likely too early. check to see if it is in time correctly.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 AM

yea thanks... i was thinking its the timming but now i have it in the shop lol.. thanks for the help everyone...