2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006 | 02:28 AM
Default RE: Problem? Air? Oil? Exhaust?

Sup guys. Well anyway, as soon as i got home today i hooked up the coke bottle to the hose and drove it around for about an hour and 15 min. (i had to make a couple stops) Anyway, when i got home after that, i popped the hood and only noticed a couple drops in the bottle. I have not checked the intake yet. And if you guys are wondering, yes I cleaned the entire intercooler piping before doing this. Well anyway, i let my car cool down, so that i can slap on my new downpipe and o2 housing (which is a BIATCH!) Anyway, while under the car i noticed some oil under the turbo (around the wastegate and the turbo itself). Dont know if this is good or bad. Oh! and by the way, when i first started driving my car, it was doing the same thing (the feeling, that it feels like my car is clogged), but towards my last couple stops the turbo started spooling fine and it felt awesome. I hope this is good? But anyway, while i was also driving, when i would floor it and shift, right after the shift a puff of white smoke would shoot out. It would never do this before. What do you guys think? I still havent put on that PCV valve, i ran out of time and I didnt even get to slap on the o2 housing or downpipe. So right now my car is in my garage waiting to be finished.

Anyway, what are y'all thoughts?

Old 11-18-2006 | 06:20 AM

Correct me if im wrong, but the cloud of white smoke would be going lean right? maybe you are running too much boost for your fuel system?
oh, that pcv should only take you like 10 minutes to replace

Old 11-18-2006 | 08:07 AM

sounds like turbo seals to me... i bet the IC and pipes are full of oil again

Old 11-19-2006 | 12:21 AM

Alright, did the "bottle" thing. Found no oil in the intake. Completely dry and clean. But did find oil in upper intercooler piping. Not ALOT, but some.

Old 11-19-2006 | 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Turbo seals like I thought in the first place . Sounds like you might be getting a coolant leakby in the turbo as well. Not TOO serious of a leak YET but it'll get there. check your coolant resevior level and radiator and see if it stays stable or if you're slowly using any. I'd have to say time for a new turbo or at least a rebuild. If it's fairly new does it have a warranty?

Old 11-19-2006 | 03:45 AM

Yes warranty. So if i do change out the turbo, that will also solve my coolant leak? Good job! While under the car, i did notice little drops of coolant leak.

Old 11-19-2006 | 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Wait coolant leak? Trace it. Find out EXACTLY where the leak is. If the coolant is leaking from the turbo then yes I'd say that would fix the problem. I also would wonder if maybe the coolant leak contributed to the damaged turbo... Either way that turbo is shot. Lets fix one problem at a time. Get the turbo changed then we'll deal witht he coolant leak.

Old 11-19-2006 | 10:42 PM

Thanks Sanguinius!

Old 11-20-2006 | 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

No problem. That's what we're here for isn't it?