2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

really bad smoking

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Default really bad smoking

when i start up till when i turn it off. its smokes BAD.
any ideas why?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Default RE: really bad smoking

headgasket

Old 07-29-2007, 07:28 PM

replaced it. still smokes

Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM

did you check the O2's, spark plugs, wires, maybe cat is bad?. could your car be running rich? by the way what car you got?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM

yea thats the next thing im doin. replaceing the sparkplug n wires...... i dont have a cat. converter. the guy b4 me cut it off.....
1995 gs

Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 PM

what color smoke? how many miles? when was the HG changed and by who?

Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM

i was goin to ask that question next.... i had a 97 gs that i f-ed up and when i traded her in she was smoking. i think i blew a ring or gasket....plus the engine kind of shook. im glad to be rid of that car.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Yup, just because the headgasket was changed out, if the block/head wasn't checked for warping, you could still have an issue there. Check your oil for coolant and coolant for oil. The other thing I would check is your spark plugs for oil, both on the outside and inside the chamber because you could also have leakyspark plug tube seals, not to forget the PCV. If that's stuck open, you'll get oil through the intake manifold all day long.
I don't think it to be the PCV though, since you blow smoke from start to finish.
Again, what color is the smoke? How much smoke is coming out of the exhaust and when does it do it? At WOT, half throttle, or just idle?

OP, please give more info/detail next time, because we are all trying to help and your post is like saying....my car shakes/vibrates from the time I turn it on to the time I shut if off. It's too vague and now we're all waiting for you to reply so that we can move on to the next step. I'm not jumping on you, just know it for future reference.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 PM

black/gray smoke.
187000miles.
again no catalitic converter.
idle and when i push on it it smokes ALOT

sry for lil info. i just wait for replies first

Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tjbiker031

did you check the O2's, spark plugs, wires, maybe cat is bad?. could your car be running rich? by the way what car you got?
Good call TJ.
If you don't have a rear o2 because you don't have a cat, then don't worry about it. You need to focus on the front o2 sensor anyway. You should go ahead and replace the wires and plugs, but make sure to note how the tip looks on all four cylinders and not just one.

The smoke could be indicating you running rich. Again, check your spark plugs for indications and note it.

Black Smoke: Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor. How did the fuel get into the cylinder in the first place? Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector, or a faulty engine computer or computer sensor. If black smoke is present, check the engine oil as in the white smoke example to make sure excess fuel has not contaminated it. Do not start the engine if a heavy, raw fuel smell can be detected in the engine oil. Call your mechanic and advise him of what you have found.

Quick Reply: really bad smoking