2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Rebuilding My 95 gst, any suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Default RE: Rebuilding My 95 gst, any suggestions??

This car was the last thing my grandfather and I did together before I went to school out of state and he passed away when I was gone. He was helping me fix it and now I want to continue with it. A gsx and gst type cars are not that common down here and I pretty contempt to stick with this one. Im not sure about anything about cars, I was listening to a friend and he told me to think about if a gsx and gst with the same type engine and everything else were to race, that the gsx would have it on the take off but then the gst being lighter would have a faster speed. Like I said I dont know nothing about cars, hp, torque, etc... My info comes straight from others and that is all I know... If there was something wrong about the things he said, plz tell, any info would help me out, but I plan to work on this one. And I was thinking that everything under the hood wouldnt cost no more then 10k...

Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Banned

Aight man that makes a whole lot more sence. Thats all you had to say.

Well theoretically your friend is correct. However its vague. The GSX will take the GST on the line and gain about a car... and the GST will be about even at 100mph. Then when you start adding on the mods... that gap just gets bigger and bigger and the advantage of having AWD is more and more.

The auto to manual is possible but it is by no means an easy job. No offence but admitidly you know little on the subject and i think you may bite off a little more than you can chew if you decide to go at it alone. If you plan to pay someone to do it for you then that would be easier i guess... but not easier on your wallet and not the best peace of mind either. Some random wrench turner might not care what your bolts are torqued to. Not to mention if someone does not know what they are doing they might end up doing damage they cant repair.

The same applies with the AWD swap too.

Maybe leave the car as it is?

Old 04-27-2007, 02:26 AM

Well here in town we have a place called Macon Motorsports, that has a long rep on great quality motors. The owners sons went to school with my dad, and the quote wasnt finalized yet. I still havent been able to figure out what all im wanting to get out of the car. These people that work on the motors have done some really great work. Ive seen my cousins motor that he has ancored to the floor that is nice. So I think im fine with the block part. Now with the tranny, ive been able to price some used ones for about $800 that are gutted so I can put in aftermarket stuff (again not knowing what all ill need to do so) so im hoping that to have the Engine and Tranny both rebuilt would cost around 5-6k. Now the guy that told me that story about the two cars, he has had a couple talons and he is a real good friend of the family, (i just never knew he knows about cars) so he is gonna be there helping me out. Both my dad and my uncle are somewhat machanics, so hopefully im not going in on this alone. But im thinking that for what little racing I do on the streets, that a GST all moded up would do just fine in this little town...

Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Banned

Ok cool.

Good luck to you

Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 AM

bc it's sentimental i can see having the engine rebuilt for it but i don't see the point in converting this to manual. it's a minimum of about 5k to do it. also you mentiond trying to swap this to AWD... negative. that's about a 8-11k swap. you can buy used motors on ebay for about 7-900 and newly rebuilt ones for about 11-1300. you could buy a rebuilt one and be good up to about 400whp on those stock internals. the stock engine is more than capable of pushing 300whp so you are good to go there.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 PM

Well I wasnt thinking about making it an AWD. No need for it. And the tranny isnt gonna cost 5k to do, I hope. From what I know that im wanting to do is for sure that the tranny is getting changed, power is getting increased, and it is gonna be better then stock. Now the kicker is that I dont know what all I can or should do to get the car to the peak of what im wanting. I know for starters, that the motor needs rebuilt, head replaced, cams need changed, and tranny swapped. An air intake, but not sure what is the best, and innercooler, again not sure what is best, dont know if it makes any difference to have duel exhaust or not, turbo upgrade, but to what kind, etc.... So if you have any helpful hints on what I should, and shouldn't do, plz let me know, thnx...