2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Replacing a 97 Eclipse Head Gasket - Am I Crazy for Trying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Question Replacing a 97 Eclipse Head Gasket - Am I Crazy for Trying?

My son's car ('97 Eclipse 2.0L Non-Turbo) needs a head gasket. I've done some work on this car, but this seems like a monumental task. I have already removed the air cleaner and tube, battery, valve cover gasket and most of the air lines and hoses, drained the coolant and getting ready to drain the oil. As I look at the Haynes manual, the more I read, the more concerned I become. I consider myself mechanically inclined, and have done most of my own repairs on my vehicles, but this is no brake job..

I don't want to screw this up (if I do, he"ll be drivng my truck ). Is there any key things to watch out for? I know that if I don't get the timing components back in correctly, it can be disasterous. Any advice, help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Fortunately, I had to see for myself what the issue was before I dove into this project and I'm glad I did. I put everything back together and started the engine. Its blowing "semi clear" smoke from the tailpipe, but no moisture leaking at any point. I flushed the coolant system with Prestone flush and refilled and ran it again. It almost seems like a leaking valve seal or something like that. It's not blowing black smoke like its burning oil and its not blowing white smoke like a moisture or coolant burn off.

I'm gonna try a conditioner in the oil and see if it helps. My sons says it loses power an hesitates when he accelerates. Any ideas on how to narrow down the exact problem? All comments advice and ideas are welcome!!