2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

RPM HELP QUICK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Default RE: RPM HELP QUICK!!!

Yea, sure i'll buy your leak tester, will it work for finding leaks in the vacuum lines & the boost leaks?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:59 AM

Good call TA. If your car surges until it is warmed up, chances are good that your FIAV is the culprit as the wax pellet may no longer be malleable. If it surges even after it is warmed up, chances are good that it's the ISC or vacuum leak. The BISS is often a culprit since the rubber o-ring hardens up and can no longer provide a good seal. Another source of vacuum leaks are the gaskets around the throttle body and of course the vacuum lines. It's often a good idea to change out those old cracked and crusty OEM rubber lines anyway and it's fairly cheap to replace. The rubber o-ring on the BISS is cheap to replace also. You can get a pack of o-rings at an autoparts store and a vacuum nipple cap to replace the BISS cover that may no longer be there. That vacuum nipple cap will help keep leaks from happening around the BISS too.
As TA suggested, do a boost leak check because that can help you find any vacuum leaks around the intake manifold to include the TB. Just remember to use soapy water and spray the TB down pretty good (don't spray electrical parts and connections).

Old 03-23-2008, 03:46 PM

O.k. heres the deal with the BISS, I know there are rules or guide lines when adjusting the BISS, and i dont want to just completly unscrew it, especially not knowing where to replace after ichange the O-ring. I heard someone say just count each turn, but thats not a reliable system to use when adjusting your idle rate is it?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:50 PM

ya.. When you get it back in, and it seems like its not running right just adjust it a little more..

Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 PM

Alright well I adjusted the biss, and replaced it with a brand new O-ring, problems still there, so I might just have to take it to a shop and get raped by the hourly "labor" and diagnostic charges. I'm really not confortable doing a boost leak check myself, chargingthe throttle body & intake manifoldand using soap water to locate bubles and what not, there has to be an easier way to find vacuum leaks.

Does the AC have anything to do with this? When i turn on the AC the RPM's jump up considerably and continue spuddering in the higher rpm range.

Vacuum leak giving me a head ache.