2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

?'s about SAFC2

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Default ?'s about SAFC2

I bought and installed my S-AFC2 and AEM wideband. I have played with it alittle but not too much. Waiting until this friday or next to get injectors. I am still really new to this, I am learning alot, but many things I still dont know or confuse me, so please be patient with me.

1. My Check Engine Light came on. Got it checked out and it was the throttle position sensor. What does that mean?

2. The SAFC2 shows alot of knock. When I parked it 5 minutes ago at idle knock was 30. What does this mean?

3. What is throttle correction exactly?

Old 06-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ?'s about SAFC2

1) my guess is that you messed up one of the wires when you hooked up the safc. Maybe there is a bad connection.

2) Knock is also known as pre-ignition. For a good write-up on it go to this link and somewhere in there is a heading for pre-ignition, you need to read this becuase this is not a good thing https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_42371/tm.htm

3) and what do you mean by throttle correction. If your talking about the safc settings, i think your wondering about the high and low throttle settings correct? in this case i think you set the low to around 25% and the high to around 65%. What this means is when you tune the high throttle your tuning when your greater than 65% throttle. The low really doesnt matter too much cuz you wont even tune that, its pointless. Hopefully this is what you meant.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:08 PM

1. You might be right about that, I was driving before the light came on, and out of the corner of my eye I think I saw the CEL flash just for a second. About 20 minutes later it was on. I'll check that.

2. Thats a pretty detailed write up on pre-ignition. So if the SAFC2 displays ANY knock at all, Im in trouble? OR is some normal? How much is normal and how much is too much? Do I need different spark plugs b/c I have the one recommended by the manual?

3. Makes sense. What about the correction display when driving? What does that mean?

Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

oh you mean the actual correction on the display, that is your actual tune working. If im thinking of the right thing it will say like 0, or -4, or +3, ect, ect, ect. Youll see #'s like that. Thats telling you exactly how much the afc is tuning. So say that you have it set to -6@4500 rpms@high throttle. Then when your driving at those conditions the correction will read -6. the SAFC shows it as "COR" right? or am i thinking of the wrong thing

Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

as far as the knock, you really want that to be at zero, with what you have it will be pretty hard to get that, but you are knocking because your car is leaned way too much out. So you need to use the AFC to tune it and add fuel to make it run alittle lean. You said you had a wideband. When you floor it what is the average A/F ratio?

Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 PM

yep thats what I wanted to know about correction. Thank you

however...

when I floor it, my afr goes to 10.1 and doesn't really go anywhere from there.

In your post...
"but you are knocking because your car is leaned way too much out. So you need to use the AFC to tune it and add fuel to make it run alittle lean"

do you mean make it run alittle rich?

since the afr doesnt read accuratley until WOT and I still have stock injectors, what would be the best way to go about tuning it up alittle?

Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 PM

1. engineer is on the right track. most likely a loose connection at the ecu

2. you have a 2g right? knock reading is useless on the safc ignore it. first off the obd2 ecus cant read knock, and secondly the safc only reads voltage it picks up from engine vibrations and interprets it as knock. google "phantom knock" for more info. but dont go by the safc knock readings chances are it is not knock, just engine noise.

3. if you are talking about the safc throttle position points, engineer is right again, although in my personal experience they dont matter much as long as they are both around the middle (40-70%). Any throttle you are using that is lower than your lo setting, it will use your low fuel map settings, and throttle higher than the hi setting (ie full throttle) it uses the tuning adjustments you made on hi. Anything in the middle it interpolates between the 2 maps. I tried both 35/60 and 59/60 and it didnt make much of a difference at all.

However, if you are referring to physically correcting your throttle, you can adjust the cable under the hood. If you hook up a logger/palm it can tell you what percentage throttle you are seeing at the ecu (maybe the safc can too i think, but not sure if its accurate). anyway, sometimes peoples throttle will only say 94% etc even tho you are flooring it. in which case you would have to adjust the tb cable to have it open fully.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:44 PM

alright I looked it up and I kinda see what you are saying, but I am still alittle confused...

so you are saying basically ignore it completely because it never reads knock?

or does it read knock under the right circumstances?

or should I not drive it until I get some injectors and tune and not have to worry about it?

Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM

if your safc is just all 0's for the settings, its not doing anything, you can keep it in. im just saying the knock reading its giving you is just useless numbers, ignore it. you cant read knock on a 2g, period.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:02 PM

and for the record, you shouldnt have any settings other than 0's for stock injectors. leaning it out isnt a good idea on small injectors like those and richening it will enable fuel cut sooner. wait for the big boys

Quick Reply: ?'s about SAFC2