2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

The Saga of the unkown Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default The Saga of the unkown Eclipse

Well after a long and unfruitful trip to FL to work on said eclipse I've learned QUITE a bit about my engine. It may very well be toast. There's at least 1 piston completely gone who knows what shape the others are in. After what I saw upon removing the valve cover I didn't bother trying to remove the head. Basically things went down like this: I got there around 3:30 P.M. started pulling things apart and trying to see what I could find. (I took somewhere around 32 pics of the engine bay/computers in the car though the ones of the comps are a bit difficult to make out so I dunno if they'll help me learn anything). After taking the spark plug wire cover off I learnd quite a bit at a mere glance. (I SWEAR I'm gonna start my own thread on this LOL). I found quite a bit of oil down there. So I started pulling wires... Again oil all over the #1 plug cap. So I KNOW ther's MORE than meets the eye here. I finish taking them out and notice that the valve cover had merely been spraypainted (Not a bad job of it except he did it while still on the engine coating the injectors witht he blue as well). Witht he bolts on the valve cover removed it's time to remove the upper timing belt cover. The whole while I have the car being jumped by my Sentra to see if the battery will hold (Of course it didn't). Looking at the timing belt I notice a chunk taken out of it like someone held a knife to it while it was turning and just scraped a 1/2" section out down to the wire... Sounding fishy yet? It gets better. With upper timing cover out of the way I'm free to remove the valve cover. It didn't care to cooperate for that idea so out comes a flathead and I pry it off. Looking inside to see if there are any visible signs of damage to the valves before I start digging in further and what do I see? A rocker lying in the space between 2 of the exhaust valves... Right next to a valve that SHOULD be in an up position from what I can tell looking at the camshaft. Well I figure it's bent if nothing else already so might as well turn the engine over and try to see what else is going on. Turn the key... Clunk and silence. Turn the key... Clunk then silence. Best I can figure is the piston is hung up on the valve with a nice little hole in the top. So now I am in the process of researching a new engine though am STILL debating wether to get a N/A or get a turbo. I have a 16G turbo I'll be getting soon (Needs rebuiolding bu how hard can THAT be??) so the crossroad lies in should I tear down and rebuild (Engine was rebuilt in '03 according to the guy I got it from) or should I just get a new one? (Doing some further reasearch I found that the car doesn't appear to have EVER been a manual there's NO hold in the firewall I can see that the clutch would have used nor did I see extra pedal brackets anywhere. Anyone wanna help me figure THiS puzzle out?? I took some pics)

Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: The Saga of the unkown Eclipse

Now also I have pics of the sticker that is on the firewall the sticker on the door jamb and the VIN. I duno how legible these will be but I'm trying to dig up info on the thing. I'm starting to wonder if the car actualy WAS a turbo ever I've not been able to find any mounts or evidence of mounts for a stock intercooler or any of the other piping. I'm going to be making a web page up here shortly to show what I have so far. Anyone able to help it would be GREATLY appreciated. I have the Haynes manual and tried to figure out the VIN from there but it's not exactly helpfull and I've not found a really good site that has the info on it yet (Still looking).