2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Default Scraping noise

Does anyone hear have a problem while turning their eclipses in driveways and having a scraping noise coming somewhere in the rear or bottom of the vehicle. I raised my car back to stock height so I don't think it's the bumper, side skirts or exhaust. The only things that aren't stock on my vehicle are my 18" wheels, sway bars, Tokico struts and my exhaust in the back. The noise appears to be scraping in the rear and only when I'm turning right to go into a parking lot, so it seems like the small bump has something to do with it. I can't figure it out. My friend thought that maybe I needed wheel spacers, but I asked a mechanic and he said that that I don't need wheel spacers. So I don't know, Someone on this forum had this problem, but never posted what caused it or if they got it fixed. If anyone knows what this might be, please light me know.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Default RE: Scraping noise

have you tried taking the rear tires off to see it it is scrping on the rear side of the tire??

Old 11-25-2004, 03:32 AM

No I haven't checked, I'll check tommorrow. If it is scraping in the rear, would that mean that I need wheel spacers in the rear? I'm not sure, but that's exactly where it seems to be coming from. It's weird, because I never had that problem when my car was lowered. The only reason I raised it back up was because of scraping, but now I have this scraping noise in the back. Ironic I guess.

Old 11-25-2004, 05:19 AM

Do you have rear lower sway bars? Might be hitting that or possibly your exhaust....

Old 11-25-2004, 05:42 PM

Yeah, I have rear sway bars and a Greddy exhaust. It's funny I never noticed the noise before when my car was lowered, but now I notice it. I've checked the sway bars and it doesn't appear like they are scratching. My exhaust is scraped, but I've done that several times, and now it's so high off the ground it just doesn't seem possible. I don't know, maybe it is. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:19 PM

alright, how's this for a creative solution; if you think it might be something hitting the ground get some water based paint or something and put a little on the stuff that hangs the lowest and once it dries drive to where it always does it then check and see if any of the paint is scrapped off. If none of it is wash it off and move on to looking for parts hitting each other.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:09 PM

Good idea vertstanggt, but I think the first thing I would do is just grab a buddy to jump out and check clearances as you drive the parkinglot/drivway entrance that it always scrapes. It should be easy to find out what is scraping just by taking a looksie. Or atleast it should eliminate the possibility of it hitting the ground if s/he dosent see anything.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:34 AM

I know you said you thought it was coming from the rear but sometimes things can sound weird, have you tried turning the wheels to either extreme and driving just to eliminate anything with that as the problem?