Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

rear brakes scraping like something came loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Default rear brakes scraping like something came loose

The 01 montero sport/wife is out of town,but i had her cam record the noise as she slowly drove and someone walked next to the rear wheels. i could hear the rotational scraping of metal when the brakes were depressed. After release of the scraping lessens then disappears sometimes its only fainter. When she brings it in ill pop the wheel off and see if its a simple fix. Any idea what it could be? brakes have about 30 k on them 220K

Last edited by PalmSprings; 12-09-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM

UPDATE A friend who knows as little about disc brakes as I,removed the wheel. he can see nothing obviously wrong. No scoring on the disc plate from the scraping that is heard. Nothing loose when tapping and trying to move caliper assy. so there is nothing obvious. Whtever it is is inside the caliper assy

Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 AM

sounds like you are down to the sensors on the pads .... time to change the pads

Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
sounds like you are down to the sensors on the pads .... time to change the pads
possily,but the sound was much louder than my past experience has been with any car ive ever owned the last 50 years including this one(O mi to 210K). from the onset it was loud scraping,immediately,where gradual wear /sensor noise is gradual in my experience . The brake service paperwork history is in the vehicle,so Ill have a look when she comes back and see what the current mileage on the most recent brake job indicates . He could only take a pic of the brake pad thickness and it didnt look worn enough,but then itwas eyeballed and wasnt measured due to inaccesibility with only the wheel removed. Oh, and rear pads shouldnt wear before fronts,as they were both done at same time. To date the wear relationship has been about 2:1 Front to Rear

Last edited by PalmSprings; 12-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Default Problem solved

Originally Posted by mxmikie
YOU ARE CORRECT MXMIKIE!
The pads were wore completely down.
Amazing,ive never had brakes come on so loud when they were worn. Thats why I thought something had come loose instead.

Driving is always the same(to and from work car only)
Since new the car got 80K each on 2 brake linings. The third linings was only 40K & that with no changes in driving.Either cheaper lining or they tightened the prking brake too much when last done. Never noticed results from being adjusted too tightly so i assume they put inferior pads for my MS to only to get only 40K
I took it into a shop(no appt needed) when they opened at 0800 ,first in line and it was done by 0930. Oh,and $175. Thanks to all those that gave opinions.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 12-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.