Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Limited tune-up and valve cover change

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Default 2002 Montero Limited tune-up and valve cover change

Hello, I have a 2002 Montero Limited. I am going to change the spark plugs, plug seals, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets, and rear cam plug seals. My question is does anyone know what the torque settings are for the manifold and valve cover gasket seals? I've looked everywhere from forums to youtube and knowone gets into the specific torque settings. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, just trying to save a buck from going to the dealer.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Here is a link to a FSM.
The torque specs are all on the last couple of pages.
Hope it helps.

http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00003800-11B.pdf

Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Thanks man! That helped a bunch! Much appreciated!!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Have you already gotten the valve covers off? Mine were tough, had to use a hammer+wood block and bang on them from the side to break the seal. Also, the previous gasket material didn't pull out, had to dig it all out with an awl. It's a pain, but doable.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Haven't started yet. Wanted to make sure I had all the specs before I open all that up. I plan I starting the operation this Saturday. I've only done jobs like this a couple of times before on other cars but never a Montero. We'll see how it goes this weekend and I'll post a thread if I survive..lol Thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by mvious
Have you already gotten the valve covers off? Mine were tough, had to use a hammer+wood block and bang on them from the side to break the seal. Also, the previous gasket material didn't pull out, had to dig it all out with an awl. It's a pain, but doable.

Hi, No, I have not cleared the deck. Currently removing bolts from intake manifold.
I was told that the gasket was a bear, and that scrap with an awl or screwdriver might be necessary. I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, next I will try to pry the valve cover off.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Default valve cover

Originally Posted by monteromorgan
Hi, No, I have not cleared the deck. Currently removing bolts from intake manifold.
I was told that the gasket was a bear, and that scrap with an awl or screwdriver might be necessary. I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, next I will try to pry the valve cover off.
I tried the rubber mallet first too, they are too bouncy and don't transfer the sharp jolt needed to crack the seal. My small hammer didn't do it either, I couldn't get mine to give until I took a small sledge and a wood block. Hopefully you wont' need it, but FYI that seemed to be the most effective as I was forced to try different methods.

Good Luck

Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Default Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by ntpatel62
Hello, I have a 2002 Montero Limited. I am going to change the spark plugs, plug seals, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets, and rear cam plug seals. My question is does anyone know what the torque settings are for the manifold and valve cover gasket seals? I've looked everywhere from forums to youtube and knowone gets into the specific torque settings. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, just trying to save a buck from going to the dealer.

Do you know of a video or Diagrams that explains how to change the Spark Plugs on a Montero ?

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ozziedesigns
Do you know of a video or Diagrams that explains how to change the Spark Plugs on a Montero ?
Check this guy's youtube video. He did a step by step on how to remove the intake manifold. Was very helpful to me how and what the procedure consists of.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Hi I am new here but in the process of changing the valve cover gaskets, plug wires, Plenum gasket and eventually the timing belt. I have a 2001 Montero Sport XS 3.5
Do the timing belt covers have to come off in order to remove the valve covers? It almost looks like the valve covers have a lip on the front and go under the timing belt covers?
I'd appreciate any help. This project is getting to me.

I should probably start a new thread but I am not sure how yet. Newby
Thanks

Last edited by Rosscoe58; 04-07-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 Montero Limited tune-up and valve cover change