Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Limited tune-up and valve cover change

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 AM

Any one of you took on this project of changing the spark plugs & valve gasket covers? I'm considering giving it a shot for my 2002 Montero Limited. Is there anything else I need to change out while I'm in there? I'm replacing the valve gasket because I've got a small leak, everything else is fine, but often if you go this far into a job, you might as well do something else. I just am not sure what the "something else" is.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Front and rear cam seals, spark plug seals (the big tall things). When I took my plenum off the cheap plastic heat shields for the injector harness was pretty much demolished from heat, so I got some of that metallized heat shield tape and wrapped up the harness. Might as well do the plug wires while your there.

For my valve covers, the old gaskets were stuck, both to the heads and to the covers. Had to use a towel wrapped 2x4 block and a sledge to loosen from the head, then hours of scraping the bits and pieces out of the channels. Put a coat of wax on my covers thinking it would shed engine grime better, ha...wishful thinking...

Good luck, don't loose any parts (or patience!)