Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Limited...transmission and idle problems

Old 06-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Default 2002 Montero Limited...transmission and idle problems

HI guys, just bought one of my favorite SUV's (never owned one till now).
1 used Montero Limited, 2002, 100k miles, 1 owner, mint condition....

...or so I thought. Cold test drive around the dealer (reputable name brand - not Mitsubishi), all was well.

1 hour later with warm engine and fluids...

* when automatically downshifting on hill, hwy speed, quick high rpm as if a clutch engaged, then a loud and physically felt clunk into 4th. Tried manual shift...same thing

* when at idle, it's as though it wants to die. 2 hrs later at a gas station filling up, it took 5 tries to get it started. As though the AC is on, and pulling RPM's below 300ish. When running at idle - it's as though there is a shudder to the engine when this happens.

I'd really like to keep it, BUT, this is not a cool start to the relationship...

ideas???

Thanks,

Ric
ric@mbiah.com if you want to connect directly

Old 06-19-2014, 03:24 AM

they might of changed the transmission oil with non mitsubishi brand oil. change the oil right away

and if that doest work, the lemon law is my only suggestion

Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 AM

As far as your idle, my bet is that it needs to be relearned. Every time you unhook your battery you have to go through an idle relearn procedure. ..its really annoying and I have never owned another vehicle that needed the idle to be relearned when the battery is unhooked. So do this and see if it still wants to die out on you afterwards.

Relearn procedure

"Make sure that all accessories are turned off, a.c. radio, lights etc.."

That is very important as the bcm will learn the wrong idle speed and you will find yourself in the same position.

1. Unhook the battery for a few minutes and then hook back up
2. From a cold start. Turn the ignition to the acc position for 20 seconds and then turn back off.
3.start the engine with no accessories on and let the engine idle from cold to normal temp for 15 minutes.
4. Shut the engine off.
5. Turn the ignition to the acc position and then back off.
6. Start the engine and let it idle in park for 3 minutes.
7. While engine is still running hold in brake and put it in drive. With brakes pressed it the engine idle in drive for 3 minutes.
8. Put the car back in park and shut off for 20 seconds.
9. Start the engine.
10. Finished

Pretty annoying huh?

That should take care of your idle and if not then a further problem exists.

Hope this helps.

Post back and let me know if it worked

Cheers

Old 06-20-2014, 11:47 AM

thanks guys...

did the reset this morning, may have to redo it. The middle restart it I didn't hold the key quite long enough (requires longer than our other cars) and had one miss start

So now when it starts up there is an immediate drop to a very low rpm, then it comes back up...weird. Must be electric.

The Mitsubishi dealership in Sac said SP3 oil works, but he also said that this should effect the clunking sound - which I tried to reproduce yesterday with no luck. Will have the dealership flush the tranny anyway, and we'll see if that works.

Last edited by rschoon; 06-20-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM

I have 115K on an '02 LTD and have been using Castrol Import Trans fluid since the first change at 30K. It says it's Diamond III spec. Change fluid every 30k since, not a leak or a hiccup in this trans. Have done transfer case and axles at 70K. Used Amsoil synthetic fluid. Gonna do transfer case and axles at 120K just to be on the safe side.