2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Smoke from intake manifold and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Default Smoke from intake manifold and exhaust

Hey guys,

I finally got around to test drive my 96 GSX that I finally got last weekend and it's throwing smoke from what it appears to be the intake manifold and anything above 3500 RPM I can look at my side mirrors and see the smoke come out of the exhaust as well. When the smoke comes out of the exhaust, the car boggs down then picks up about 2 seconds later. What am I looking for that is wrong?[/align]

Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Smoke from intake manifold and exhaust

what color of smoke?
maybe you have a boost leak and its running excessivley rich.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Whiteish grey, there's no certain smell from the intake manifold. I think you're right racerx55. My boost gauge is only reading 2psi at most and after I leave the car idling for a while I can smell fuel from the exhaust. When I bought the car, it came with a greedy turbo timer and a turbo xs manual boost controller. I don't have a gauge for a air/fuel but what can I check for if it's running way too rich?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

Boost leak : )

Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 PM

Would a boost leak make a car run really really rich?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned

yes

Old 06-07-2007, 10:52 PM

Are you sure its coming from the intake manifold?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:23 AM

Not 100% sure it's coming from the intake manifold but I see white/grey smoke coming from that side when I lift my hood up. I was just told by another forum to check for the intake gasket seeing how I just received the car and check for the pcv valve hose to make sure things are connected correctly. I'll be having a FUN weekend!

Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: pdc001

Whiteish grey, there's no certain smell from the intake manifold. I think you're right racerx55. My boost gauge is only reading 2psi at most and after I leave the car idling for a while I can smell fuel from the exhaust. When I bought the car, it came with a greedy turbo timer and a turbo xs manual boost controller. I don't have a gauge for a air/fuel but what can I check for if it's running way too rich?
Idling for too long will cause your car to run rich, that's normal. My car does it, my wife's car does it, even my old motor.
An A/F gauge is about the only way to tell if you're running rich or lean.

ORIGINAL: pdc001

Not 100% sure it's coming from the intake manifold but I see white/grey smoke coming from that side when I lift my hood up. I was just told by another forum to check for the intake gasket seeing how I just received the car and check for the pcv valve hose to make sure things are connected correctly. I'll be having a FUN weekend!
The intake gasket is a good bet. Don't check the PCV, just replace it, they're not expensive at all.

Another thing to check is your intercooler piping for oil. There's two ways for oil to get into there. One is the breather tube and the other is a bad turbo seal.
Another thing you need to do is do a boost leak check. This is a vital thing to do, IMO, since this is a used car. Chances are, the original owner had mods on it, then sold the mods and put the car back to stock.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 AM

another cheap thing you can do to help out that oil problem is install a catch can... you can make one yourself i you know what you're doing but i don't think they run anymore than 50-80 bucks from good names like HKS, Greddy, etc.

Quick Reply: Smoke from intake manifold and exhaust