2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Smoke from oil cap???????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Default Smoke from oil cap???????

I got a 91 talon tsi off a guy a few months back and he hadnt run it for 2 years. I finally got it ready to start last night and it started up after a little work. I started it up again today and it stalled right out, this happend a few times. Then i started it again and it went up to 2000rpm for about 3 seconds then stalled out. So i started it again and it went to 2000, when it started to go down i have it a little gas and stayed up for about a second then it started to shake and sputter and then stalled out. I went to look at the engine and there was oil around the oil cap and when i took the cap off there was smoke inside, it continued to let out smoke for about 5+ mins. HELP!!!!!!??????? If you need more info just as

Old 05-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Default RE: Smoke from oil cap???????

wow. burning oil smoke from oil cap=not good at all.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 PM

Yeah, um im screwed...... [] . I m worried

Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 PM

HELP [X(]

Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Banned

I dont think thats serious. Take a sniff of your oil cap and tell me if it smells of gas. If it does then change your oil and run the car at 2k for 10 mins after getting upto full operating temp. Then change your oil again.

As for the sputtering... your timing could be off a little or you could just need a tune up after sitting so long.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

I dont think thats serious. Take a sniff of your oil cap and tell me if it smells of gas. If it does then change your oil and run the car at 2k for 10 mins after getting upto full operating temp. Then change your oil again.

As for the sputtering... your timing could be off a little or you could just need a tune up after sitting so long.

...sounds like a waste of oil changes to me. If hes getting gas in his oil, then hes got worse problems to think of. And if it got there once, it will get there again.
That sounds like a total guess. Where did you get that from

Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Banned

Smoke = burning... smoke in oil = something burning in the oil... usually caused by gas in the oil. Its actually quite common with these engines and its actually really bad for the engine to be running that. I remember one time actually, i took the oil cap off when the car was hot and got a little smoke and it smelt of gas. So just after i changed my oil and it still smelt a little off so i ran it at 2k for 10 mins and then changed it again.... never came back. All depends what is coming out of the exhaust... if there is any blue smoke then you have a big problem lol. If its just a little stinky then you should be ok after an oil change.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:37 AM

Gas in the oil? wtf, how would you be able to get gas in the oil, you would need to have a hole in the cyl head.

If the smoke was semi clear, and more of a steam then thats normal, the oil is hot and it will steam. For the leeking from the cap check your pcv valve. Those tend to lock up and sometimes need to be replaces. Also inspect the oil cap gasket. For the sputtering, check your vac lines, check your plugs, and check your plug wires. IF it has been sitting for a while it needs a minor tune up. I would also recomend replacing the oil just for good measures. Oil that has been sitting in a dirty motor for 2 years is never good.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

It happens. Sometimes some gas can get out of the combustion chamber and past the rings getting into the oil. It can happen if you run your car really hard.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:46 AM

It happens. Sometimes some gas can get out of the combustion chamber and past the rings getting into the oil. It can happen if you run your car really hard.
If your refering to exaust gas thats what a pcv valve is for, to remove the vapors that may leek past the combustion chamber, but if gas were in your oil the motor would grind its self to pieces in a min... which i dont think happened in this case.

Quick Reply: Smoke from oil cap???????