2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Sound in my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Default Sound in my suspension

hey, i have been noticeing this sound in my left front suspension. it started out as minor. but it has gotten really anoying. when i turn my steering wheel it will make a creek/grinding type sound or if i hit a bump sometimes but mainly when i turn. any suggestions or if it has happend to you . please leave a message for any info. i think it may be a joing or bushings?</P>

</P>

Thanks Paul</P>

Old 10-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Sound in my suspension

I have a sound in my front left, it only hits when i go 40mph and higher. the pitch increases with speed and the sound is like a revolving hummmm then when I make a sweeping right and the left side dips i hear a grinding sound like krrrrrrrr just faintly.

Trying to isolate it but the mechinic said to look for the obvious first before you bring it into the shop to troubleshoot.

My 01 spyder got in a accident so who knows. alignment is good. steering components are good.

It does look like my left wheel is a bit forward in the wheel well compared to my front right. Hmm maybe a bit of a bend in the frame. who knows. if you solved it please reply.

ciao
bcwetcoast

Old 10-23-2004, 05:27 PM

I have the same problem with my eclipse. I have a 98 spyder and when I turn to the right or into a driveway, I hear a grinding noise or like something is scraping. I had my car lowered, and when I brought it back to stock height is when I started having that problem. I have 18" wheels and I'm actually taking it into my mechanic on Monday. Do you have the stock size wheels, or are they bigger. My friend and I believe that it's my wheels rubbing against my springs when I turn. My friend had this problem with his Mercedes. If this is the problem, what you need are some wheel spacers. You probably only need a 5mm spacer for both fronts. I'll let you know if that's the problem with my car, and more than likely it is and in your case as well.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:06 PM

Sounds like your front struts to me. My friend's 97 GS makes a squeaky sound. My 92 LeBaron has worn out struts and it squeaks really bad.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:31 AM

I took my car to my mechanic, he said that the rubbing was caused by my splash guard which is broken and when turning, the tire rubs against it causing a scraping sound. And Mesaboogie18 may be right about your struts, have you ever replaced them. I have Tokico struts which handle pretty nicely.