2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

speedmoter showing too fast? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Default speedmoter showing too fast? Help!

got a 96 eclipse gs, and when I'm driving at 55 mph, speedometer showing 110mph, need some advice from ya guys........Was thinking that it may be a loose speedometer cable or maybe something with a speed sensor, any suggestions? thanks

btw, has 17in aftermarket rims

Old 12-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Default RE: speedmoter showing too fast? Help!

youre probably actually doing about 110

jk....idk

Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 AM

Welcome to MF locoal619.
I would definitely check your speedo sensor. There are many types and I'm not sure if you have a mechanical or electrical but either way I would check that. Do you have aftermarket rims? When did this start? What new mod did you do (trying to find any type of correlation)

Old 12-18-2006, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Welcome to MF locoal619.
I would definitely check your speedo sensor. There are many types and I'm not sure if you have a mechanical or electrical but either way I would check that. Do you have aftermarket rims? When did this start? What new mod did you do (trying to find any type of correlation)
I do have aftermarket rims, the car had this problem when I bought it, previous owner thinks it started shortly after the engine was rebuilt, he thought that it may be some gear behind the dash gauges.just wondering if anyone has this problem....................................

Old 12-28-2006, 11:40 PM

any other suggestions?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:54 PM

does the speedo just shoot up all of a sudden? like if you did a 0-60 would it rocket up to 110?

Old 12-29-2006, 04:35 AM

use it to your advantage of intemidation, tell all your friends that your car does 80 in first gear and explain that your car is so fast that when you go these speeds, the car actually goes faster than is allowed in the physical world that we live in so therefor it actually looks and feels like you are going slower. then you must start talking about quantum physics and the theory of relativity...
interestingly enough though my friends dad's truck(gmc) does this but goes back to normal after he beats it a few times.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:57 AM

Do you have 8 inch wheels?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

Lmao....

What size are your rims, it does sound like your total wheel diameter is too small, that's why I asked if you had aftermarket rims. The previous owner could have wanted too small of a profile tire and unknowingly affected the speedo.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

ORIGINAL: Jeffisdecentttttt

Lmao....

What size are your rims, it does sound like your total wheel diameter is too small, that's why I asked if you had aftermarket rims. The previous owner could have wanted too small of a profile tire and unknowingly affected the speedo.
Theres no way he actually has small enough wheels to throw it off that far. He actually would have to have 8 inch wheels to double the speed.
Sounds like a sensor malfunction.

Quick Reply: speedmoter showing too fast? Help!