2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Thinking ahead. TUNING!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Default RE: Thinking ahead. TUNING!

For a straigh up drag race car, i wouldnt give two ****s if it knocks the whole way down the track as long as its fast.
gnarly statement BUT agallardo do NOT take this advice!!! lol i think you know this but just making sure lol

Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Im a little late but heres my input:

-I always reccomend denso/rc injectors over others (FIC, PTE etc) because fuel delivery is more linear, deadtime is closer to stock, and the pintel design is superior. FIC/PTE are okay with DSMlink, but they SUCK if your only method of tuning is an SAFC or MAFT, trust me on this. Ive explained this before.

-660s are a good size to upgrade to. 550s will max out quickly, and 720s are probably a bit too big for an SAFC.

-Do you have an upgraded turbo yet? Sory I didnt read the whole thread, but if not get that first.

-Walbro 190 is plenty of fuel, and you wont have to get a FPR

-DSMLink is a great tool, but $600, plus a socketed EPROM ECU. DSMChips are awesome, but you also need an EPROM ECU. I think the SAFC is the best thing to learn to tune on for the beginner. If you have the money get a DSMChip/SAFC combo, but plenty of guys were able to go really fast back in the day on only the SAFC.

My setup was denso 660s, SAFC, pocketlogger, walbro 190 and a big16g, and i was able to run 11's on pump gas once i got the tuning down. Wideband would have been nice, but if you read enough about tuning and mess around with it enough I dont feel its necessary, at least early in the game. Besides there are so many other factors to consider, you cant just trust that a specific A/F ratio will be safe on your car, expecially if you are running too much boost/timing. A logger can tell you all this indirectly. Watching your timing curve on the logger is probably the easiest and safest way to tune. Once you get good with the SAFC and discover its limits/lack features then DSMLink would be the next logical step.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:02 PM

are you a 1g or 2g? 1gs are even easier as they get to monitor knock as well on the logger, 2g guys get to go off of timing curves alone..

Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

For a straigh up drag race car, i wouldnt give two ****s if it knocks the whole way down the track as long as its fast.
gnarly statement BUT agallardo do NOT take this advice!!! lol i think you know this but just making sure lol
Yea that advice only goes if you got a full blown race car and are trying to win it all in the finals.[8D]

Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

are you a 1g or 2g? 1gs are even easier as they get to monitor knock as well on the logger, 2g guys get to go off of timing curves alone..
Thanks man, but i have a 2g. I have an Evo3 big 16g, without any fuel mods YET! So is itok with just SAFC, logger, and 660's. Well and obviously a Walbro 190? Well, i will also have an EGT today actually. Just need a probe.

(by the way DSMTalonAWD51, where have you been man? You havent been online for awhile. remember me awhile back, i was trying to buy that pump from you when you were parting out your car)

Old 02-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Yea i still come on occasionally, I kinda miss my eclipse but one day im gona get a 1g as a project car and build it up. I ended up leaving the pump in my car when I sold it, it wasnt worth removing too much of a hastle. I think the SAFC, logger, and 660s are enough to start out tuning with, you gotta learn to swim before you jump off the high dive EGT is kinda added security, but not necessary. The only thing high EGTs tell you is that your car is pulling timing, and with the logger you can see exactly what your timing curve is doing directly. The roadrace guys used to tune off of EGTs because back then nobody had loggers.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 PM

Well, I am trading a guy for my stock manifold for the egt. This is the same guy I am getting the Evo3 Big16g ported from and the Evo3 manifold. So he needed a manifold for his other turbo that he is getting, so i we came up with the idea of trading that.
Well, thanks man! Seem likei am gonna run your "old" setup. LOL!