2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Throttle Body Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Default Throttle Body Question

I have a Eclipse GS-T Spyder: Convertible FWD model equipped with a 210 hp turbocharged 2.0 L 16-valve DOHC Mitsubishi 4G63 engine.

I recently purchased this car and been having TPS problems, first I replace the TPS and still the check engine light comes on. I cleaned the black stuff off the inside of the throttle body; the check engine still comes on.

I noticed when I purchased the car that it was missing a hose that is supposed to be attached at the top of throttle body, a port marked ā€œPā€ located on the top of the throttle body? (Photo Ref: A)

I also noticed that it is not filled in like the other two ports (Photo Ref: B)

My next course of action is to switch out the throttle body? If I do purchase another one where does this hose run to?

[IMG]local://upfiles/7799/46591F8B078F476494B0BEFC8A7A9940.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Default RE: Throttle Body Question

Anyone...anyone...Buehler? =)

Old 07-24-2006, 02:35 AM

Ok folks, here is what i found out. I emaile Road Race Engineering to get a thought on why its missing that hose. 1995-1998 TB are all the same. The 1999 changed up a bit and onlly utilize 2 vacuum ports, which are A and E.

Now I took the advise of a fellow DSM on here and took off the intake hose and scrubbed the crap of the inside of the TB with some carb cleaner, and I readjusted the TPS again. I took it for a spin and it seems like it helped a bit.

My inital problem was the TPS was causing an error causing the check engine light to come on, I have already replaced the TPS and for the past couple weeks it seems like the TPS keeps spitting a error. I adjusted that sucker to the specs on RRE website. Lemme tell you its a pain! Rotating that TPS clockwise to the point where connectivity disappears between pins 3 and 4. Now the only thing I don't get is the Voltage??? I am not and a electical wiz but I tested it with a multimeter i got from pep boys, and all the OMS check out, but I can get it to read the voltage specified. I will keep you up to date.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Have you reset the ECU? Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then drive for a few miles at 40 MPH to reset the ECU. It might help the ECU recalculate everything and possibly clear the codes.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:03 AM

Ok here's an update, and I hope this helps anyone that may have this similar prob in the future. First I found out why the throttle body is diffrent and quote Mike W from Road Race Enginerring.

"Yes, yours since it is a 98-99 has a different purge system (P). You get a big fat hose on the intake manifold and a little pump thingy on the back of the manifold and a whole giant recovery tank that the other kids with the earlier car dont have. They are jealous too. They no longer used the P port after 97 so they just plugged it off and didnt make a whole new casting."

Mike W
RRE

Now for the TPS prob. I should have listened to Sanguinius about 2 months ago, when he said "clean the throttle body", this past sunday. I went to Pep Boys got some carb cleaner and toothbrush and scrubbed the heck out the inside. I put it back together and even re-adjusted the TPS according to the RRE specs, and 3 days later that pesky check engine light hasn't come back on.

I am figuring a couple months ago when I was driving like WAY below E on the gas gauge that maybe I got some crap logged in the butterfly, maybe you guys can speculate what caused the problem. But, the problem was resolved.

Thanks Sanguinius for the TIP I should have followed 2 months ago.

eclipsegs187

Old 07-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

glad you got it resolved, and thanks for comming on and letting everyone know what fixed it becuase i know you wont be the last person that has this problem.