2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Transmission Mount for Shaking Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Default Transmission Mount for Shaking Eclipse

I have had everything done to my car including replacing the motor mounts, fuel injectors cleaned, wires and spark plugs replaced and the throttle body cleaned...it shakes when in reverse and every time I stop at light. When it's moving, it's just fine.
The dealership told me it must be a transmission mount. Is there such a thing for a 2000 Eclipse GS (78000) and can I replace it myself. This is crazy. I just want my car to run smooth again.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 AM
Default RE: Transmission Mount for Shaking Eclipse

Not trying to be be rude or beat down on you, but if you don't know where its at, your best bet is to let the dealer fix it.
This way you have some sort of warranty if it breaks again and its done (hopefully) right the first time.
I work for a dealership and I cant stand when someone asks me to show them the location of a part, then says "Thanks, i'll try and fix it myself."
Its pretty rude, personally.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 AM

I totally understand however when they charge you $100 to clean the throttle body and then tell you it runs great, do they really know what they are doing?
I showed up and the car was exactly the same as when I dropped it off. I can't believe they dont' know what it is and how can I trust them when they think it runs fine and the whole steering column and glove box shakes?!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:58 AM

look on the drivers side of the engine compartment. If memory serves me it's under the battery. Good luck

ps go to your local parts store and buy a repair manual for about $15-$20

Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 AM

It was the transmissioin mount. It cracked open and all the liquid spilled out. I am at 77k. Sad, since my old Eclipse mount lasted over 10 years.
Thank you everyone. Problem solved and now it's as smooth as the day I drived it off the lot!!!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 PM

77k isnt bad for stock mounts. i wouldnt call it sad, its just a few mounts, parts go bad. evrything requires replacement parts and maintenance. If it makes you feel any better i have 145k miles, and replaced the engine, transmission, transfer case, rear differential, CV shafts (all 4), all the mounts, ball joints, struts,4 clutches,wheel bearings... i could go on like this for half a page if you'd like. Motor / trans mounts are a minor fix man. Glad you got it taken care of but its not a big deal. The dealer should know better, if you have to replace one mount, you replace them all.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 PM

I guess I am basing it on the fact that my old Eclipse 90' had 215K on it and I only replaced the motor mounts once and that was it besides belts, brakes and the usual maintenance. It's not even at 100K. I might as well buy American if this is how they are built.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Honestly all new cars are junk. The newer they get the more "throw away" they are. If i could buy a brand new 1971 Oldsmobile cutlass over a brand new GSX for the same price, i'd buy the cutlass cuz i know it'll run forever. Just like this 99 grand am. What a pile of ****, and its only got 61k miles, the interior door panels are peeling, heater blower only works on high,rear defrost dont work,ive done the heads twice on it, 4 transmissions, front wheel bearings and one CV shaft., alternator.... the list goes on. My 78 chevy truck i had i just did a tune up every year or 2 and it ran to over 300,000 & still looked nice and ran great.
Prices keep going up, quality is shooting downhill fast. I refuse to get a loan for a newer car because theyre not worth it to me.