Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

94 Galant engine shaking & shut down problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
M
Default 94 Galant engine shaking & shut down problem

My 94 Galant started to have this very odd problem. After a few minute of driving, engine just 'shuts down'. It starts out by really bad shaking motions and eventually ends up with the complete shut down of everything. I can restart the engine by taking a couple of minutes off after the shut down, but the same problem happens all over again after next few minutes of driving.

Repair shop guys said that there might be something wrong with an engine relay and/or distributer. I've replaced the relay but no effect so far. Now I'm planning to change the distributer as well, but I'd like to make sure if this is really the right way to fix this whole problem...because I've never seen a problem like this before.

I would really appereciate if anybody could help me how to fix this problem. Thank you in advance.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Default RE: 94 Galant engine shaking & shut down problem

[b]I'm having the same problem with my 94 Galant ES....it idle's ok, when you drive, it bucks and smokes and shuts down. It drinks oil every 100 miles. I had a complete tune up with timing belt, all 3 belts, engine gasket, etc. Worked for six months, now it's dying. Mitsubishi told me it won't last past 200k. It's at 180k miles.

Is the engine shot?[/b]

Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 Galant engine shaking & shut down problem

Depends how it's drinking oil. I don't think it's COMPLETELY shot but it may need a ground up rebuild. As for the guy with the bad shakes and the shut down A.) Does it shake and run rough when you first start it or is it nice and smooth and then go to shaking? B.) Does the Check Engine Light come on at all before the shut down? There could be multiple different problems and knowing exact stats and info can help pinpoint the problem. More info better diagnosis.