2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Trying To Narrow It Down...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Default Trying To Narrow It Down...

Okay, so the question has been asked numerous times, but I need to ask it again.

Myself and a friend were tuning up my car about a week ago, and we were doing spark plugs. He tightened the plug in the first cylinder so tight that I stripped it today when I attempted to take it out to check it for oil. I think my gasket has a leak. Well, it's stripped, so I go down to autozone to get a bolt extractor. After finally breaking the top off of the spark plug, and getting all of the ceramic out of the well with an air compressor, I extracted what was left of the bolt. I replaced the spark plug, and now my car is bogging. It's not happening at a certain speed though, when I hit a certain RMP, it starts sputtering. I thought it may have been from my vented BOV, but even after reconnecting it, it still sputters...But the problem didn't start until after replacing the spark plug...What could the problem be? Thanks.

-brandoN^-

Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Banned
Default RE: Trying To Narrow It Down...

You just stripped the plug right, you didn't mess up the threads in the head its self? Did anything fall into the cylinder?

Old 02-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

I bet the center piece of the plug fell into the cylinder... that or a piece of stray ceramic did...

Old 02-14-2006, 02:57 AM

Well, the center piece was pulled out while trying to remove the plug. Before the plug was extracted, I took a air compression hose, and blew it all out...Looking in the well, there was no more in sight. After that, I took the bolt extractor, and unscrewed it. It was in pretty tight, but it came loose.

If something did happen to fall in, or I did strip the threads...Where would I go from there? Thanks.

-brandoN^-

Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

If you DID strip the threads you'll need to get them tapped you also may need to get them fixed completely I don't know what exactly the full repair process entails but tapping it is probably going to be done with the head off the car. Just for the sake of keeping metal shavings out of the cylinder. If you can get a hold of a extendable mirror small enough I'd look around in the cylinder see if there's anything floating in there just to be safe.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 AM

well the options that can fix this are risky for ex my 95gs somone stried one the sparkplugs out "previous owner" and put in a helicoil which makes it so bolts can be put back in well he put it in a little to far and the piston came up hit it mushroomed it and bent every valve. bet thing to do see if you can fine a newhead in a junkyard and get it rebuilt ot put the parts from your head in it. Oh and if you do not let the block cool down you will strip out the plug holes in the head.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

If you DID strip the threads you'll need to get them tapped you also may need to get them fixed completely I don't know what exactly the full repair process entails but tapping it is probably going to be done with the head off the car. Just for the sake of keeping metal shavings out of the cylinder. If you can get a hold of a extendable mirror small enough I'd look around in the cylinder see if there's anything floating in there just to be safe.
What really sucks about if the plug threads are stripped out on the head is, that means your head is junk. About 80% of machine shops wont want to deal with trying to fix it, or will even tell you its junk. What you need to do and this is always a #1 thing to do in a situation like this, is do a compression test on that cylinder, I know I keep saying that. How did the new plug feel when you put it in? Heres a tip when installing plugs, there is a washer on that plug called a crush washer. When your tightening that plug down and you fell it gives you tension, just give it on half turn and you are all set.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:51 PM

drive for a little bit and if you notice blowby on the plug than you need a new head.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of the help so far. I woke up late this morning, so I didn't have time to play with it. I ended up carpooling to work so I didn't have to drive my car. Last night, I pulled all of the plugs, and when I pulled the plug from cylinder 2, a LARGE chunk of the white ceramic was craked, and fell off, exposing the inner conductor. I am assuming this fouled spark plug is causing the bogging...At least, I hope it is! If not, I'm going to end up buying a new engine. I know I can just replace the head, but I'd rather get a brand new one. Maybe an import from Japan. I know a shop where I can get one between 1100-1500...Well, at least, that's what my uncle is telling me. I still need to go to this place, and check it out. I'll post an update when I get home today. I'm going to stop at an auto store on the way home to pickup, yet, another spark plug. Back to work. Thanks again!

-brandoN^-

Old 02-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: brandoN^gsT

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of the help so far. I woke up late this morning, so I didn't have time to play with it. I ended up carpooling to work so I didn't have to drive my car. Last night, I pulled all of the plugs, and when I pulled the plug from cylinder 2, a LARGE chunk of the white ceramic was craked, and fell off, exposing the inner conductor. I am assuming this fouled spark plug is causing the bogging...At least, I hope it is! If not, I'm going to end up buying a new engine. I know I can just replace the head, but I'd rather get a brand new one. Maybe an import from Japan. I know a shop where I can get one between 1100-1500...Well, at least, that's what my uncle is telling me. I still need to go to this place, and check it out. I'll post an update when I get home today. I'm going to stop at an auto store on the way home to pickup, yet, another spark plug. Back to work. Thanks again!

-brandoN^-
A cracked plug will do it.[:@]

Quick Reply: Trying To Narrow It Down...