2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Default Turbo upgrade

I just bought a 92 talon turbo and I was wondering what kind of simple upgrades I could do to it. Im just getting into imports becasue Ive always done muscle cars. But I got this car for $750 from a friend wanting to get rid of it to make room for an I-ROCcamaro he just bought. CouldI just swap out the turbo and BOV and maybe change it to front mount intercooler? I have no idea. somebody please help me. </P>

John</P>

listenersaudio@aol.com </P>

Old 02-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Default Turbo upgrade

Hey, that's cool. There are staged upgrades for your car. If you're now getting into imports, here's a few things. Your car will be be called a "1g" or "1st gen". It is also a "DSM". DSM stand for Diamond Star Motors and there are clubs or chapters in just about every state and city. Also, DSM include eclipses,eagle talons, and plymouth lasers, from years 89-99. The new eclipses are not DSM's and have barely any relation to your car.Eclipse's from 2000 on are more like rolling garbage cans.So your car is mostly going to be referred to as a "1g dsm". to your question, yeah there are many things to do to help you go faster. There is a faq on how to spend $10 and get into the high 13's. Not bad huh? The first things to do are to uncork the factory restrictions. Just the small things that let you turn up the boost an extra 2-3psi. If you don't wanna spend a lot, first invest in a boost gauge. The factory one is very inaccurate and just gives an idea of when the turbo is spooled. You'll need a boost gauge to see how much you are boosting, Overboost and you'll kill the engine. But your engine can take a lot of abuse. From trying to look like a hero to outright mechanical hatred, turbo dsm's can take a lot of abuse. But visit the site www.vfaq.comor www.dsm.org </P>

also if you wanna buy parts, go to www.dsmtrader.com</P>

You should wait until maxed out your current setup to change the turbo. A few AWD drag racers have hit the high 11's with the 14b turbo. BTW, do you have manual or auto? Before you even think about swapping turbos or anything, find a way to monitor the engine. You can find a "1g pocketlogger" setup for about $100 nowadays. And remember, make sure your fuel system can keep up with your ambitions! <FONT color=black>If you've had prior tuning experience, that's good. But DSM's are a little different than tuning v8's, simple things can gain huge horsepower.Good luck and check out the sites.</FONT></P>

Old 02-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Default Turbo upgrade

Thanks for ur help. i had already known about the 1g and dsm stuff. my friend is converting his 98 mirage into an evo IV and im helping him with a lot of his stuff so im learning a lot from him. </P>

"There is a faq on how to spend $10 and get into the high 13's. Not bad huh? The first things to do are to uncork the factory restrictions. Just the small things that let you turn up the boost an extra 2-3psi."</P>

Where do I find that faq and how do i uncork the factory restrictions?!?!</P>

</P>

Old 02-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Default Turbo upgrade

The Faq was on the Vfaqs site before they renovatedit. But the Vfaqs site still has the stuff on how to uncork the factory restrictions. Some simple stuff is removing the charcoal canister(not sure if it helps free up power, but it lightens the car up a little), modifying the bov tube, crushing the bov, and some otherthings i can't remember. If you do wanna spend a little bit of cash and get major power gains(upwards of 20hp), replace the stock downpipe and exhaust. The stock downpipe is one of the most restrictive things on the engine. Personally, i'd recommend getting a 2.5" downpipe. Unless you have a way to control boost creep, there is no need to get a 3" or bigger. An intake system(filter and pipe) are also a good upgrade, adding about 10hp on a stock engine. The 4g63 engine is very responsive to simple upgrades, unlike NA engines. </P>

Your friend is converting a mirage into an evo? He's not going to put on the awd system is he? Sean Glazer from Extreme Motorsports had a Mirage with a 4g63 in it. He wrote that the whole project was time consuming and very expensive, and was oly worth it to be different. But it would be cool, your friend would be one of two people to have a evo-converted-mirage. Well, good luck.</P>

Old 02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Default Turbo upgrade

nohes not going to convert it to awd. but we are going to weld the back doors shut and shave the handles to make it a 2-door. I dont thin khes doing the engine swap yet but he is going the body swap and hes already got an engine and tranny. and he just bought a turbo kit that will get him into the mid 12s. </P>

Im going to look right now to see what kinds of simple things i can do to this car. Do you know if its in the part where it says 1000 already answered FAQs?!?!</P>

I dont know..Im looking right now.</P>