2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turboing the 420

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Default RE: Turboing the 420

[:@] Bad information all up in this post

The stock bottom end can take up to 10 psi, the rings blow out first at 12psi, the pistons crack as well, the stock I beam rods bend at 15psi.

Hahn and star are the only compleat kits on the market. Conceptillusions... well bad quality kit, low price, long time to get. I wated 5 months for my stage one to show up broken.

Slow boys kit are just hot parts, an intercooler, and some random piping that you have to make work. Theirs no fuel system, theirs no electronics.

For turbokits.com tsi turbo kit, its a joke, only 2 injectors? Even if they are secondarys that means you need to take the intake manifold off the car and tap it, put in some injector bosses and get the car dyno tuned.

treadstone, same deal as slowboy, no fuel system, no electronics.

"how much is a fuel system?" If you want one done right, could be up to 1000 dollars (sfmu, fp gauge, ss lines, fuel rail, fuel pump, fuel filter, fittings) A half *** one 300 (fmu, rubber hose, fuel pump, hose clamps).

Do not buy wisco pistons, bad quality, go ross or j.e.

Do not buy a srt-4 turbo, those things suck beyond anything, plus they wont sit right under the hood. The srt-4 motor exaust manifold faces the fire wall and the intake manifold faces the front of the car. This way the down pipe comes out at a 45 degree angel. Basically anything to work on your car is going to have to be custom made. Also the way the turbo/manifolds are desgined suck, their one piece. Also the wastegate is adjustable, the srt-4 runs at different boost leves in different gears. The stock waste gate is too high and would cause you to blow your motor.

If your looking for a budget turbo kit http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=921 save up some cash and get this one, its a quality kit thats been installed by many and the only thing you will need to buy is a boost gauge and a pillar for it.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:26 PM

when i first got on this forum i was told by basically everybody that the 420a bottom end would be blown after 5 psi including you slow. as for the turbo kits, yes i know that hahn and star make the best ones i was just giving more options for the guy to look at. weisco pistons are made by J.E, i have a friend that's running Weisco in his 69 camero with over 1500hp and they are holding up just fine. as for the SRT-4 turbo, i have 4 friends down the street pushing over 325hp on their stock turbos and about 21lbs of boost and also personally know a guy that has put the srt turbo on his talon. yes the downpipe had to be custom made but i have a friend that does that kind of stuff for relatively free, so no i wasn' tthinking about that part. the direction that the turbo faces has nothing to do with the performance of it (firewall vs radiator). Darkspeed don't get this twisted, Slow420a definatly knows his stuff so aparently just ignore everythign i've told you.... i give up trying to help on this forum, there is no posative motivation if you say anything wrong or out of place.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 PM

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_23271/tm.htm <- from when I first joined this forum, 6 posts down.

The 420a can handel 10 psi no problem
I have used wisco pistons in dirt bikes and such but everone that I know and have talked to that has used wisco pistons destroyed them in their car.

The srt-4 turbo/manifold sucks not becuase it lacks performance but because of its desgine. The manifold and the hot side of the turbo are all one piece. So if you ever wanted to get a different turbo or change your setup you have to get a new manifold and turbo costing more money. Also the wastegate on the turbo is set at 12 psi which is too much for the 420a to handel unless its built. This guy is looking for a direct bolt on kit not a diy setup.

Also after doing some research I have come to the conclusion that the manifold wont work propperly on the 420a, the bolt patter is different and it will put the turbo into the power stearing pump. If you want I can send you a link to the discussion.

I am sorry that you feel this way about this forum, I dont mean to poke fun at anyone I just want people who visit this place to recieve the correct information. So many poeple today are into performance cars, more then ever before, and all I want to do is share my knolage.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_23271/tm.htm <- from when I first joined this forum, 6 posts down.

The 420a can handel 10 psi no problem
I have used wisco pistons in dirt bikes and such but everone that I know and have talked to that has used wisco pistons destroyed them in their car.

The srt-4 turbo/manifold sucks not becuase it lacks performance but because of its desgine. The manifold and the hot side of the turbo are all one piece. So if you ever wanted to get a different turbo or change your setup you have to get a new manifold and turbo costing more money. Also the wastegate on the turbo is set at 12 psi which is too much for the 420a to handel unless its built. This guy is looking for a direct bolt on kit not a diy setup.

Also after doing some research I have come to the conclusion that the manifold wont work propperly on the 420a, the bolt patter is different and it will put the turbo into the power stearing pump. If you want I can send you a link to the discussion.

I am sorry that you feel this way about this forum, I dont mean to poke fun at anyone I just want people who visit this place to recieve the correct information. So many poeple today are into performance cars, more then ever before, and all I want to do is share my knolage.
Thanks for all the information slow, Do you know anyone personally who has used the Hahn kit on their car? Is it good? how hard is the install. Do you really think i'm going to need an IC?

Old 08-27-2006, 07:26 PM

Err, just found something out. My dad has a Mk IV supra twin turbo. He recentley upgraded the intercooler on it, but he still has the stock supra intercooler.

Is there anyway that i could possibley make this work, use a toyota intercooler on my eclipse?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:59 PM

No problem, my one friend has a hahn stage 5 on his 420a neon. Thing is badass, but silly to an extent.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...1-5d187112c775

its the only decent pic he still has up, you can bearly make out the intercooler in the grill.

Anyway, hahn is the best in forced induction for the 420a, they have done the most research and have gone the fastest. They back up that with awesome customer service and decent prices (what more could you want?).

The pains in the *** during the install are... the drain boss for the oil pan(the whole removing the pan is an event in its self, not hard just a pain in the butt) and the fuel system, hahn gives you fuel lines that you have to put togather and put on the car, its just another long part of the project.

For the intercooler... over 5psi its smart to have an intercooler, the lower the egt's the better. What you could do is get hahn's stage one kit for 2g's, get a mbc and make your own Ic piping for your dads smic. Only thing is the down pipe that comes with the stage one kit is a joke(it clamps onto the stock down pipe... you have to cut your stock one), your going to want to get a downpipe from hahn or get a custom one built. Even their stage two kit down pipe kinda blows but it works.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 PM

hey slow, you gotta be on your friend's 'friends list' to be able to see that pic, hes got it set to private

Old 08-27-2006, 11:27 PM

RCJR: I'm assuming the eclipse in your avatar is yours. That car is sweet. My GS is black with the OZ wheels. Wanna trade?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:50 AM

does your car have anything else done to it? b/c if not that would be just plain stupid for me i've put over 6grand into my car.... i just purchased 2grand worth parts to rebuild my bottom end and get everything boost ready and soon i'll be putting a turbo on it.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 AM

sry didnt know that,

its a 98 dodge neon, rims, body kit, ect... whats special about the car is that its got a buit bottom end, built cyl head (cams, lifters, ect. ), port fuler system, 20g turbo, custom 3" exaust. Stage 3 axles, the hood was built by the driver, its all fiberglass work with a fuel pressure gauge mounted right under the scoop in front of the wheel. The trunk has a compleat fiberglass enclouser, 2 tv's, 2 12's, and a nirtous bottle(not hooked up). The interior is custom silver/white leather. The dash is glassed over with every gauge you can imagen molded into it.... its a fast show car.

Quick Reply: Turboing the 420