2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Turbos?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Default Turbos?!?

If i have a stock turbo then if i want to upgrade, do i buy a turbo and run off of my stock set-up or do i need a turbo kit? also if i upgrade it would be smart to get an aftermarket intercooler correct? These things would be occuring on a JDM Cyclone 4g63t.

Thanks

Old 10-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Turbos?!?

What kind of power are you looking for? You can get a full kit or just bolt a better turbo on what you got. it all depends on where you want to go with the car.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:53 PM

Over the 300 hp mark would be where i want to shoot for. I have a GReddy Evo II cat-back exhaust system to put on to the new engine, so with that and a turbo (upgrade or bult on to existing) I would like to see at least 300hp. Also, sould i invest in an intercooler to put on durring the swap? And what do bhp, whp stand for, backhp and wheelhp and what do they mean compaired to hp.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:29 PM

whp is wheel horse power- it means that is the amount of horse power reaching the ground (which really counts).

Old 10-31-2005, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: X Treme

Over the 300 hp mark would be where i want to shoot for. I have a GReddy Evo II cat-back exhaust system to put on to the new engine, so with that and a turbo (upgrade or bult on to existing) I would like to see at least 300hp. Also, sould i invest in an intercooler to put on durring the swap? And what do bhp, whp stand for, backhp and wheelhp and what do they mean compaired to hp.
It depends you can spray methonal or water and not need an intercooler. The reason for an intercooler is to keep the charge temp cooler, which inturn keeps the exaust gas temp cooler. More boost, more fuel, more heat....kinda, its alot more complicated than that, i am just trying to put it in the symplest terms. Bottom line if you dont have an intercooler now and your going to be running some nice boost 8-oblivion get a intercooler. Which size depends on the size of the turbo, size of the pipes, spool time, cfm's.... lost more. Best thing to do is to search and see what others are getting good results doing.

Old 10-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Actually (And NOT trying to be an a$$hole like SOME people would think) what happens it more air=hotter fire. The increase in the fuel needed on a turbo is to actually help the engine burn cooler. But yes the cooler the air the cooler the fire and in turn the more efficient the burn which means more fuel will burn at the right time causing the max power. I think that's about the extent of it there correct me if I'm wrong or add your input to it eh?

Old 10-31-2005, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Actually (And NOT trying to be an a$$hole like SOME people would think) what happens it more air=hotter fire. The increase in the fuel needed on a turbo is to actually help the engine burn cooler. But yes the cooler the air the cooler the fire and in turn the more efficient the burn which means more fuel will burn at the right time causing the max power. I think that's about the extent of it there correct me if I'm wrong or add your input to it eh?
yeah thats one of the reasons that the extra fuel is added.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Ya i just didnt really want to get into that in this post, really with any upgraded turbo you should upgrade the fuel system, the more fuel the cooler the egt's... but the car runs slower. Thats why I dont understand some kids that get stuff like intakes and exausts and then get huge injectors and think that its going to make their car so much faster.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

Ya i just didnt really want to get into that in this post, really with any upgraded turbo you should upgrade the fuel system, the more fuel the cooler the egt's... but the car runs slower. Thats why I dont understand some kids that get stuff like intakes and exausts and then get huge injectors and think that its going to make their car so much faster.
ive actually had a few people tell me that they were going to get bigger fuel injectors on their n/a eclipse and they were expecting a 15-20whp gain. I laughed so hard. I told them to go ahead and buy a set of plugs and get ready to swap them in.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I dunno people don't understand that there is a ratio of heat/HP there is an optimum area where you need to be to get max HP and still be safe for the engine. Then they figure that more gas more boom... No the gas is merely the flamable part that starts the explosion but ALSO has a cooling effect on the engine. Hey if the little richie ricers wanna spend thier not so hard earned cash on the plugs and bigger injectors I'll be happy to sit back and laugh at them.

Quick Reply: Turbos?!?