2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Default weird problem

Hey guys I have a 97 Gst w/ basic modsand I have an issue that Ineed yourhelp on. When go to start my car in the morning, I put the key in the ignition andwhenI get it to the"ON"positionboth of my radiator fans kick on before I even start the engine. Thisdoesnt make sense because the car is cold from sitting all night.Then whenI start the engine the fans continue to run and engine has a BADDDDD miss. However, after I drive it for 10-15 min. the fans kick off and it runs smooth, like nothings wrong. It's weird because it only has the BAD miss when the fans are on.I have replaced the plugs, wires, coolent temp sensor, temp/fan switch, and the Throttle Pos Sensor. It is still doing the same thing!!!! I suspected maybe a blown head gasket but there is no antifreeze in my oil or oil in my antifreeze and no smoke from my exhaust! I can't figure it out and Im desperate for ideas. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My mods:
Greddy 3" turbo-back
Dejon Intake w/ K&N
Upper + Lower IC hardpipes
HKS SSQV BOV
MBC@ 15psi
ACT 2100 clutch
B&M short throw
Prourthane Motor mounts

Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Default RE: weird problem

The only thing I can see wrong with the car is that the fans are kicking on, on a cold start up. The misfire is because the motor is dumping fuel in because the ECU thinks that it's hot out. Notice that the car runs fine after warming up? If there was a gasket failure, the car would run that way no matter what.
If you have a buddy with a 2G (turbo), try swapping ECUs. If not, try finding one from the yard.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Do u have a check engine light? Do u know what cylinder is missing?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but both fans shouldonly come on when the AC is on or the car is extremely hot right? When I read the post, my first thought was AC.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: OhioEclipse

Correct me if I am wrong but both fans shouldonly come on when the AC is on or the car is extremely hot right? When I read the post, my first thought was AC.
The A/C fan comes on when it needs to come on for A/C related heat and the radiator fan is usually already running at that point. If you notice, the A/C fan will sometimes cut off while the radiator fan is still running, but I've never seen the radiator fan shut off while the A/C fan was running.

The fans are turned on by the ECU because the ECU sees excessive heat. That information that gets to the ECU is incorrect since the motor is obviously not hot first thing in the morning. My thoughts are that the issue is electrically related. The misfire or popping of the exhaust is from a flood of fuel-to-air ratio. Another thought would be the front o2 sensor.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM

Well I have replaced the front + rearO2 sensorsthis past summer andthey only have about 10K miles on them, so its most likely not them. I do have an engine light onandits been on for the past 3 years because I dont run acat on my exhaust. However,I wascurious ifthere were any new codes soIscanned it with my scan tool and its the same ole catalyticinefficientcode. I agree with silvercoupe97, i think its an electricalissue or maybeECU problem. I have replaced every sensor that i know of that has the ability to kick on the engine fans.