2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

questions about fuel pump rewire

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Default questions about fuel pump rewire

fuel pump alive. relays are alive. wiring to fuel pump at fuel pump dead.

so i am about to embark on the fuel pump rewire here: http://www.raktron.com/fuel/rewire1.html

a couple of questions first:

it's a little unclear to me whether or not the original power wiring is used to power up the new relay [or the fuel pump].. or if the current is to be in use at all? this wouldn't work for me since i'm getting no current there.

and if the old wires are being used in the new wiring process [under the assumption that they are working], why would you need to do the rewire in the first place?

lastly, if it comes down to it, how would i go about doing a plain ole rewire to get power to the fuel pump again?

thanks.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Default RE: questions about fuel pump rewire

ORIGINAL: foetus envy

fuel pump alive. relays are alive. wiring to fuel pump at fuel pump dead.

so i am about to embark on the fuel pump rewire here: http://www.raktron.com/fuel/rewire1.html

a couple of questions first:

it's a little unclear to me whether or not the original power wiring is used to power up the new relay [or the fuel pump].. or if the current is to be in use at all? this wouldn't work for me since i'm getting no current there.

and if the old wires are being used in the new wiring process [under the assumption that they are working], why would you need to do the rewire in the first place?

lastly, if it comes down to it, how would i go about doing a plain ole rewire to get power to the fuel pump again?

thanks.
Yes, the original wiring is incorporated into the new relay. Otherwise, how else would you control when the fuel pump comes on, right?
If your original fuel relay isn't working or is just dead, then just get a new one. Unless the wiring was previously modified or fried by some unearthly reason, the original wiring should be fine. If you're talking about rewiring the stock wiring...just follow the old wires or buy a DSM CD manual and follow it's wire color guide...good luck with that because that's a PITA.

So, to recap...the original fuel relay, which will now be used as an on/off switch to the latter relay, is used to power up the "rewired" relay. The purpose of the rewire is to give the fuel pump power directly from the battery, hence the use of the other relay, as opposed to sharing the power with the other electronics within the cabin.