Eclipse Frequently Asked Question Section This section is only for FAQs, not Q&A. If you have an FAQ reply to submit, contact a moderator or admin.

2G AWD fuel pump rewire

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Default 2G AWD fuel pump rewire

Grab a drink and snacks....

Like most of you with a 2G AWD, I've seen the vFaq to rewire the fuel pump for a 2G FWD, but rewiring the fuel pump for a 2G AWD can be a little confusing, I say that because when I saw the vFaq for the rewire, I had no idea that my AWD would be a little more complex....looking….in reality, looking back at it now, it's not complex, it just seemed that way at the time.
FWD models (still talking about 2Gs) have a connector with 2 wires while the AWD models (at least on my 95 tank) have 5 wires and a larger molex plug to accommodate them. I searched for 2hrs straight, reading through every thread, every post in that thread, and in all sorts of sites. All saying that the two are wired up the same (they are, but keep reading). Then I started seeing repeated bits and pieces of useful info here and there.
I'd like to put the nitty gritty in one post for those that will be doing this later or would just like to see what's involved.

I'm not going to go into the removal of the bottom seat cushion though, because that should be self explanatory. What I will share with you is how to rewire the relay to the 5 wire plug. That's the part that's the hardest to come across, although it is fairly easy (because it IS the same as the FWD model).

I found the info on Automotive Articles Magazine (URL at the bottom) entitled... AWD Conversion, By Jacob Isaac-Lowry. Sound familiar yet? Anyway, here are the essentials. I stumbled on this during my 2hr "2G AWD fuel pump rewire" search for facts.
[/align] # Here are the pin outs:

# On the AWD Passenger Side Fuel Pump/Sender Connector

1. Thick blue/black wire is fuel pump power and is connected to the same wire on the 2 pin FWD fuel pump harness (mine was black with a blue stripe)
2. Thick black wire is the fuel pump ground and is connected to the same wire on the 2 pin FWD fuel pump harness (this wire is thicker than the thick black with blue stripe, power wire, but both are noticeably thicker than the last three)
3. Thin yellow/black wire is the sender feed to the second sender and is wired into the yellow/black coming from the other sender
4. Thin black wire is the sender ground and is wired into the ground wire on the FWD 3 pin sender harness
5. Thin yellow wire is the low gas light wire and is wired into the non-yellow wire on the FWD 3 pin sender harness

# On the AWD Driver Side Sender Connector

1. Thin yellow/black wire is connected to the yellow black wire coming from the passenger side sender
2. Thin yellow wire goes to the fuel gauge and is connected to the yellow wire in the FWD 3 pin sender harness [/align]
Here's a pic of the wire plug (in URL form)
http://files.automotiveforums.com/im...p/IMGA0106.jpg
And here's the originating site, for those that don't already know about it...
http://web.archive.org/web/20050228075812/http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml

So, the black w/blue striped (pump power wire) wire can be attached to either, terminal 30 or 87. The thick black wire (ground) can be attached to a new ground or terminal 86 or 85 (that energizes the relay's coil). The coil is not polarized, so you can mix it up without worries.
I used the original power and ground to energize the coil and I gave the fuel pump it's own new ground.
After I realized what wires were what, I reinstalled the plug and I cut the necessary wires before the boot and went from there.

The end result....my interior power stays close to and does not go below 13 volts anymore (average of 13.5v consistantly), my idle is very constant and smooth-er, my AFR is more steady, I'm happiest about my voltage being more consistant in the cabin because that also resulted to my headlights no longer dimming anytime an accessory came on.

To end this long post and to reiterate, you can see that the two wires needed are the same as the FWD models. The difference is obviously the fact that the AWD molex plug has 5 wires...3 are for the gauge and dummy light. The two thick black wires are for the pump.
For me, my issues were because I made this rewire bigger than it really was (in hind sight) and for anyone looking in, don’t make it a big deal, take it at face value. Although, there's really no need to worry about that now, because here's the info and it's even correctly titled for those that search any of those keywords.
I hope this was useful.

Fine print...
I am not responsible if you screw up your fuel pump or car. Everything like on every site is a "do at your own risk" thing. It worked fine for me, why shouldn't it for you