2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Whats causing my turbo to grind when starting my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Default Whats causing my turbo to grind when starting my car?

When I start my car my turbo sounds like its scraping against metal for 2 seconds and then its fine no more noise. Doesn't grind when i'm boosting hard, at least I can't hear it if it does. I thought it was my starter going out and just disregarded it but my friend started my car when I was looking under the hood and I was like oh damn thats my turbo ha.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Default RE: Whats causing my turbo to grind when starting my car?

my car is doing the exact same thing. but i thank mine is the starter becuase it has trouble starting every now and then. it could be a bearing[/align][/align]

Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Maybe it is my starter but for some reason it sounded like it came from the turbo. I could be mistaken thats why i'm asking for the pro's advice here they'd know better than I would.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Banned

Well the stock turbo is known to be a piece of ****. Dont be suprised.

Its the beginning of shaft play. Take off the intake and make sure that there is no obvious damage, wiggle the shaft side to side and in and out. You should only have a tiny bit of side to side.. nothing more

Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 AM

what sebba said sound like shaft play check it out before u **** the whole thing up

Old 05-11-2007, 01:44 AM

At start up, it's most likely the starter, unless he's got really bad shaft play to the point of the wheels are rubbing all the time. If that's the case, one or both of the wheels are going to be off balance, thus, the turbo is unbalanced. If that's the case, then you'd hear the turbo ALL the time. If the grinding noise is only at start up, it's most likely the starter. There's also not enough exhaust air to push the turbo if it's grinding against the walls of either housing.
Another to make sure of is your oil level and oil age, because it could also be other important parts.
I say the starter, but it doesn't hurt to check the turbo for shaft play anyway.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

I seriously doubt it was your turbo. It probably was your starter since its right in the same area as the turbo its not a surprise you would mistake it. Because if your turbo wheel was hitting then at boost you would hear the death whine from it. So i doubt its that.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 AM

Im with the last two posts... I cant see that being your turbo...

Old 05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned

I think its possibly the turbo. Because there is no oil pressure it could just be sitting there... losing a little diamiter on the shaft.. and it just sits there metal on metal... its possible. Then after the cat is started.. its floating on oil and the gap is filled

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 AM

Dont get me wrong, Seb... youre right, its possible. But its seems more likely to me that it would be the starter.

Quick Reply: Whats causing my turbo to grind when starting my car?