2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Wierd Smoke Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Wierd Smoke Problem

But is an oil leak going to cause white plumes from the running car? I'd have though even if it were the turbo burning the oil it would STILL be blueish...

Old 11-13-2005, 12:49 AM

My smoke looks white.. its deff oil though, lol I have oil all over my back bumper..... I need to sell the car.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:12 AM

I have gotten a leakdown test and compression test for 3 diffrent shops. Here is the readings I got or m the last one I did. cly 1: 182 cly 2: 168 cly 3: 185 cly 4: 183. The first place I went to ssaid my turbo ws bad and that is causing the smoking. Turned out my turbowas fried inside so I got a new one. Smoking went down alot but not all the way. After the second compression tes and leakdown test I was told to replace the valve field seals and lifters. I replaced them but the smoke is still around. My oil leel dosn't really need me to add any but the muffler gets a ring of black looking oil around it and stinks. Is this a head gasket or something else? I am gettting ready to replace the timing belt water pump and tentioners. would It be lot more work to replace the piston rings and or head gasket? also if I do replace the head gasket itthere and thing else I should replace while the head is off that will strenghen the motor for more boost.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Well if you are going to get the head gasket I would recommend taking the head in and having it crack and leak tested as well as getting it port and polished. Is sounds like you either have a leak on the valves on #2 or bad rings. In replacing the rings you wil HAVE to do the head gasket at the same time. To do the rings right you might as well get the cylinders honed properly basically doing a full rebuild and you'll be CERTAIN to take care of that smoke problem.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:37 AM

That or you could do it the ****ty way, when you have the head off, drop the pan, unbolt the lower half of the connecting rod, "slid" the piston out the top run a ball hone though the cyl, replace the rings(alot tuffer than it sounds, your going to have to file them down to make sure they fit right) then slid the piston back in(again alot harder than it sounds).

Old 11-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Forget using a bottle brush use the other type of hone it's MUCH better and more precise for cutting the grooves in the cylinder walls.

Old 11-13-2005, 07:44 PM

ok i am 100% certain that there is coolant going to the turbo as well as oil. just looked in the manual and there is a 2 coolant lines. also here is a quote from a post earlier: by Burnt GSX / https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_4699/m...nt/tm.htm#9118

Im about to do the same.. My stocks are pretty beat up.. I want 18's but am saving for a turbo... both cost $1000+ so.. ha, I need new tires though too. what to do? leave it in the garage till next spring prob.

by the way.. Im getting a bigger turbo. should i get 18g or 20g? remember bigger isn't always better, AND I really don't want to have to get a new EMS. what do you all think? and what kind? cause I've seen some that you have to buy the 2g kit with, and there are some new ones out that come with the 90 degree elbow welded on already... anyone had experience with those? also, I left my two coolant lines on my stock t25 when I sold it cause they wouldn't come off... where do I go for new ones?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________-

So this might be the problem.... the turbo is coolant and oil cooled and the smoke that comes out is whiteish with a blueish tint to it.... it might be both coolant and oil getting into the exhaust side of the turbo and burning off??????????? also if i let it run a long time there is a big puddle of water out the tail pipe but its not steam that comes out its smoke. you can just tell the differnce by the way it fills the garage. im going to do a compression test and a leakdown today and post results.... in the mean time if you have any suggestions let me know... my laptop is in my garage and i check it all the time

Old 11-13-2005, 09:28 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Polonez

ok i am 100% certain that there is coolant going to the turbo as well as oil. just looked in the manual and there is a 2 coolant lines. also here is a quote from a post earlier: by Burnt GSX / https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_4699/m...nt/tm.htm#9118
[quote]

My bad, I was positive they did but hey i drive a neon... lol. For the turbo get a evo III b16g. Its 600 bucks but I think your going to need an install kit with that, but from what I hear thats the way to go.

For coolent hose, if its rubber get wet exaust hose from a marine supply store, its super high temp and comes in all sorts of sizes.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:49 PM

compression test was perfect 190 accross the board on all cylinders..... this tells me that the engine is in good shape.... head gasket should be fine???? valve seals fine? and rings are fine too?????? it just keeps pointing more towards turbo

let me know your thoughts

Old 11-13-2005, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Polonez

compression test was perfect 190 accross the board on all cylinders..... this tells me that the engine is in good shape.... head gasket should be fine???? valve seals fine? and rings are fine too?????? it just keeps pointing more towards turbo

let me know your thoughts

The only thing a t25 is good for its a table lamp.... Like i said eariler, evoIII, Its good for something like 350 hp, but if your looking for a daily driver, good mpg, and a direct replacment just get a an ebay t25 again.

Quick Reply: Wierd Smoke Problem