2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Would this boost controller work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 AM
Default Would this boost controller work?

Hey guys I have a 1996 GSX with a few mods. I have Magna flow 3in exhaust, short ram Injen Intake, and a greddy bov. I am replacing almost everything with newpartsincluding a rebuilt engine. My stockSMIC is very dirty and looks like crap so I was thinking of going with a FMIC, but from the other posts it doesnt seem like a good idea with the t25 turbo. So I am going to stick with thestock intercoolerfor now, but I am interested in getting a boost controller. I found one on eBay but i'm not to familiar with them so if I could get your opinion on this one it would be great. Itseems cool because you can control it from inside your car, but I am pretty clueless about it.
Ebay in cabin boost controller

And one other question, what is the best way to clean my stock intercooler??? Its pretty bad.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

Dan

Old 02-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Default RE: Would this boost controller work?

yeah my friend has one of those and it works pretty good, and to clean your intercooler you can use gasoline

Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 AM

That's a copy of an Extreme Technologies XBC in cabin boost controller, made to look like a TurboSmart controller. I wouldn't trust it though. That's a long tube! The only in cabin manual boost controller I trust is a Hallman Evolution RX boost controller, like this one
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...276&page=1

I say, stick with the tried and true manual boost controllers, like Hallman's

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...276&page=1

...or an electronic boost controller.

Your smic is fine and works best with your t25. To clean it, you can clean it with degresser and/or gas. Try not to bend the fins either. If you have bent fins, you can use tweezers or toothpicks...have a seat and get a drink, lol.

I have one thing to say to you first.
BEFORE YOU GET A BOOST CONTROLLER, GET A BOOST GAUGE. DO NOT TURN UP YOUR BOOST BEFORE THEN (don't turn it up since you still have the t25 anyhow). This is a very bad mistake done by turbo noobs.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

I think any knock-off boost controller will work fine. I had one on my talon from ebay and was running 15 psi no problem, and now emonz has it on his evo running 22psi and still working fine. So id say this one will work just fine. Another trusted MBC if youd like to look at others is here
http://www.joepmbc.com/mbc.html

Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM

i say get it for the price... it's not llike your taking a huge financial hit if it does break... us it until you want to upgrade.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Sweet sounds good. I think I am going to try this one out. I already have aftermarket gauges for the boostand Air/fuel... So I think I should be all set. I am going to be smart with boost, I have been reading other posts about it and most people are saying dont go over 15 psi. I'll probably run it at 12-13.5 psi. Thats alright isnt it? I am not trying to make my car super fast, because I know that is pretty much impossible without upgrading the turbo. I am pretty much just doing the boost control because it is the next step for me in mods without a new turbo.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

well on a stock turbo you can get into the 13's 1/4 mile with the right mods. But sure 13psi is fine. 15 is even safe. Also with this air/fuel guage you have. Im guessing itsa narrow band which means its only red/yellow/green lights. Just to let you know that guage is pretty much pointless and in the future you might think about replacing it with something alittle more useful like a wideband 02 guage

Old 02-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Ooops, sorry. I didn't mean that an ebay knock off isn't or won't be a good controller, I meant that I don't like the hoses being that long, hence why I showed the Hallman which has a rod that goes into the cabin instead of running a long hose that comes from the wastegate to the cabin and then the intake mani. By all means give it a try.
That, to me, is just an engine clutter maker. I don't know about you, but I would be tempted to turn the boost up here and there if I had an in cabin controller.
I still say a Hallman or a JoeP. (thanks TE, forgot that one) are your best bets and they are only $50 for a solid working MBC.
Hallman on EBAY.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:22 PM

And about the FMIC... i wouldn't upgrade yet, til you get a bigger turbo. Supposebly you can lose power off the stock turbo (t25) No need in losing power.

And along with the turbo upgrade, you will need supporting mods too. Dont forget that.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Turbo upgrade parts list:
turbo (example 16g)
550-650 injectos (depending on how much you want to do to the car later)
fmic
boost gauge
wideband
tuning device
tune
will eventually need a new clutch.