2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

yay advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Default yay advice!

Hey, I've been interested in eclipses lately, and I was just hoping for advice on buying one. I've been though the first 15 or so pages of this forum and looked for topics that might help, but of course I wanted to make my own

Anyway I've gotten from reading a few topics from people like me, and it seems the general concensus is rs/gs = bad, gs-t/gt-x = good. Well admittedly up until now I've been looking at a gs (this: http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/435370478.html ). I went to look at it, and it's in good shape, and well you can read what he said about it. It also seems like 5k is wayy too much to pay for a gs (from what people have said here), so maybe thoughts about that? The car was 110k miles, by the way.

It definitely looks like a cool car, but reading through some topics here have kinda gotten me disheartened about the gs's and that I should look for a gst or gsx. So I did look around on a few sites for one. Pretending for a second that I might actually be able to see it (it's 200 miles away), what do you think of this? http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=232301063 All that I know about it is what's there. I did carfax it though and it's at around 85k miles, and there is no other reported problems (no accident, etc).

I was also looking for advice about eclipses in general, and whether I should either not get one at all, or not worry about modding it much and grab that 99 gs. This will be my first car, so I don't know very much about cars. I do have a lot of time on my hands though, so if I had to do any kind of work on it that won't be a problem. Money however sort of is, my family will be fronting the cash for it and I'll owe them, and don't have much money saved up. I would like something that I would be able to mod and keep for a few years and be able to call it "my eclipse" and do some work on it myself. Which is why I think that gs-x would be cool as it looks pretty mild, as eclipses go and I'll be able to do **** myself. This WILL be my daily driver.

If not an eclipse, I'll probably end up getting a grand am gt or something (but maybe someone has some other cars to suggest?).

Thanks huge to any advice anyone can give me.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Default RE: yay advice!

First off welcome to the forums, if you ever have any questions dont be afraid to ask. If you are looking to get any kind of performance at all than the rs/gs is out of the question. While they are good d/d and are reliable they cost alot to get power from it. I will tell you as will everyone else definately look fora gsx awd>fwd. The one you listed looks really nice but 7,500 is to much. I would say around 6,000 would be a good price. And make sure you look at it in person and test drive it.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

Dude, you are my fav n00b by FAR.

Thank you so much for actually bothering to do your research, i really apreciate it.

Well as you have already read, GSX obviously owns all : )

A GS is a little more reliable than a GSX or GST would be, but the GSX and GST are a hell of a lot more fun to drive, and a lot easier to make power from. So, its what ever you can get your hands on.

That GSX for 7k, i would ask how many miles are on it.

Stay away from GM!

Welcome to the forums!

Old 10-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned

Actually 7k for that GSX... if the mileage is decent, thats a good price.

To be entirely honest, the best deals for these cars can be found on www.DSM Tunes.com (remove the space) and www.dsmtrader.com . If you love speed and power like the rest of us, i recomend getting one that already has a built up motor (pistons and rods + a race transmission). You can get the race prepared GSX's for the same price as a stock one... because mods simply dont hold value.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 PM

The only problem with that is you have to hope that everything was installed properly. It is usually best to buy a close to stock car and build it up yourself. Thats just my .02 cents.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

I dissagree. When people mod DSMs that much, they f-ing know what they are doing.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:01 PM

you never know with people nowdays.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

True... but we are the DSM community, not the ****ing Honda community : )

Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 PM

LOL thats true, like the d-bag at autozone .

Old 10-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

lol exactly

Quick Reply: yay advice!