2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

yay advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Default RE: yay advice!

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Dude, you are my fav n00b by FAR.

Thank you so much for actually bothering to do your research, i really apreciate it.
Heh, no problem :P People who come in like they're the only one to ever ask for advice annoy me too, so I'm just doing my part. :P

Anyway like I mentioned, that silver GSX has about 85k miles. I was actually hoping you'd say that 7500 is way overpriced and I'd be able to get it around 5-6k. It's not my money so going much over 6k is an issue. This looks good but at 8250 it's probably a bit too much: http://www.dsm tuners.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=65063&cat=4 Though I do like the stock/near stock gsx more.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

Okay cool. If you know how to talk to these people you can grind that down pretty easy. So power to you!

That one on DSM Tuners is a little too much... That person is on crack if he thinks those mods are adding any value

Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Banned

Oh, and with that silver one, make sure the 60k service has been done. That includes, a transmission and transfer case flush (not expensive) and a timing belt, water pump, and tensioner change (this is just called the timing belt service... and can be about 200 bucks to do) If they have not done these things... that might be a good reason to give when you are trying to grind the price down.

You can also tell how the car has been driven by looking at the valve cover. With a car that has had the **** beaten out of it, you can see oil that has seeped out all the way around the valve cover and has stained it.. .if the car has been babied you will see little or no oil on it.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 PM

That GSX looks very nice and its a decent price for the miles on it. If it were me i would but a completely stock car. Not that i don't trust peoples mods its just that i personally would want to build the car myself. It would cost quite a bit more money but you have the fun of building the car and seeing it progress. There's my input...AND Welcome to the forums and im glad you did your research and didn't put up a thread right away about 1) can i turbo a 420a or 2) Can i swap a turbo engine into my RS?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

LOL great addition.

I agree with what was said 100%

Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM

So what price do you think I could get on the silver one? would I be looked at like a complete ******* if I came out at say, 5500? Maybe 6k?

I'm also concerned about the infamous "crankwalk" I've heard of. How can I know if it's happening or not, and stuff like that? Not only checking it out before I buy, but if I were to buy it and it would happen later?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned

There is really no way to tell. It happens to some at like 100k and others at 300k and some have never had it happen. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

No i dont think you would be a dick. They dont see things that way, trust me, thats business. I like that number actually... i think 5500 is a great number. 5k is a little bit of a low ball... but hey, if you have the ***** to do it, power to you.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:33 PM

honestly from one simi noob to another id get one on dsmtrader taht has a six bolt swap already done cuz the six bolts are the engines out of the first gens taht dont get crankwalk, but i have a 7 bolt in my talon and its got like 140k miles and is holding up fine so thats up to you, welcome to the forums.
one more thing.. if you own a dsm you have to make fun of ppl that drive hondas, hate for honda drivers kinda comes with the car : )
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Banned

Its retarded **** like that, that gives the DSM community a bad name.

Yes, you could get a 6 bolt to be 100% sure the problem wont happen to you.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:08 PM

actually i believe 97% or so 6-bolts dont crankwalk.

BUT doing engine swaps or just plain out working on a DSM is fun. atleast it is for me.

Quick Reply: yay advice!