3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

01 Spyder stalls after new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Default RE: 01 Spyder stalls after new battery?

i dont think you have to worry about changing your battery because one person had a problem. if you know what to do that shouldnt happen

Old 08-17-2005, 01:10 AM

Ok, heres my situation, after my post that i was thinking to change the battery, next day...puff my battery dies completly, lucky me a pep boys store was in the mall.

So i go to the service center and they use the jump starter and i can start my car., then i go to the service center where they take out the battery and tell me its not capable of holding the required charge, so that i needed a new one, i ask for one and was 59.99 and i with only 20 bucks[] so i tell them i cant afford it, and they put the bad battery again, next thing, the speedometer doesnt works, and the car starts to die, not stalls, just dies as soon i get off the gas. I remembered what problems i read here, then a few miles and the service engine light turns on... oh my...

But today i went to autozone buy the battery that the computer says it fits my car, and i see it, its bigger than mine, then i put it in the car, and the car starts as soon as i turn the switch, wow, the engine light turns off and my car runs great..so i'm happy again next thing i want to close the hood and....[&:][:@] I CANT CLOSE IT, the battery its to high, i take it out, and go to autozone and change it for another small one, its the same size the one i had.

I put it and the car starts good..but, yes another but, it looses power when i brake and then recovers it, so tomorrow im going to search for a good very powererd battery. I think this resolves the problem for the battery change. well at least for me. Good luck all.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:08 AM

get a dry or a gel cell they will put out the most cold cranking amp and they wont "die" like oher batteries. they cost a little more but they are worth it and no risk of getting battery acid on the car.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:50 PM

Great, thanks for the tip.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:59 AM

This is a pretty common problems with Mitsubishis had the same with my Montero Sport - Please read the following post from www.monterosportonline.com -

"Basically, your idle adaptive memory was erased when your battery died (or was disconnected) and you're idle air control (IAC) motor is now starting at a nearly closed position. Over time, carbon/oil build up around the throttle plate can restrict the amount of air that can flow past it... as more carbon builds up, the IAC allows more air to bypass the throttle plate to maintain idle (this IAC position is stored in an adaptive memory). Once the battery is disconnected, this adaptive setting is erased, IAC motor is reset, and now you're engine is chocking for air. To get this back to spec, you'll need to clean out the carbon/oil build up around the throttle plate to allow your engine to breathe again.
To clean the throttle plate and throttle body bore, disconnect your battery to erase any adaptive idle memory that you ECU has attempted to restored. After removing the intake hose from the throttle body, use some throttle body/ carb cleaner spray and spray it onto a shop rag and clean the area around the throttle plate bore, and the throttle plate itself- using the rag to wipe the area clean of any carbon buildup. Wipe everthing dry and wait a few minutes to give the cleaner a chance to completely evaporate. Go ahead and reinstall your rubber intake tube and reconnect your battery. Dont forget to reconnect the MassAirflow Sensor if you disconnected it Allow the engine to run for a few minutes and to recheck your idle quality. To verify everything is okay, allow the engine to idle for a few seconds and try grounding the power steering pressure switch wire (there's a single wire going to a switch at the power steering pump). Your idle speed should "bump up" a few hunded RPM's before settling down. You can also try allowing it to idle, then turn on your AC- again, the idle speed should bump up a few hunder RPM's before settling down. Good luck!"

Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM

For the record, I am another 2001 eclipse owner who had this same exact problem. I will try cleaning out the throttle body. Hopefully that fixes it. What a strange problem!!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:05 PM

hopefully that fixes it? this post is over 1/2 of a year old.... keep with the times.