3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

2001 mits eclipse spyder gt turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Default 2001 mits eclipse spyder gt turbo ?

I did a search of the forums, and couldnt really find what i was looking for, But anyways, i have a 2001 mits eclipse spyder gt. Im currently working on getting my new clutch from competition clutch, unless someone else has a better suggestion. But anyways, after that im working on a turbo charger, I was looking at the ripp mods, but not really liking the set up. I want a straight TC, not a TC ran off a belt. But what is the best TC, best bang for the buck. I want people to know im boosted ;-). Also, is it true that with stock internals this car can only push 8psi without blowing? if so, then damn. I'll get new pistons and rods later later later on lol. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Default RE: 2001 mits eclipse spyder gt turbo ?

First things first... Run the flames are coming...

There's a lot of things you need to work on before you get that turbo if you want it done right... It is NOT an easy thing to do with these cars...

Be ready to drop 10k+ (at least) on the car... Right now I'm working on my build and I'm past 7500 and that's just getting my car ready to handle the boost...

I've got a built 6G74 that's getting put in December 21st, forged pistons and the works.. a Quiafe LSD, and a new clutch/flywheel...

That's just so when I get the turbo in my car isn't going to destroy itself...

As for what's the best way to go, there really aren't any pre-made kits around unless you get lucky with someone selling one... I'm working with a local guy to get mine built...

Don't know if it helps...

Oh, and a Turbo running off the belt is called a Super Charger... Same basic premise as a turbo except instead of it being powered by the exhaust it's powered by the belt...

Cheers,

~Mike

Old 11-07-2007, 01:22 PM

to add to that, in the end.. your still front wheel drive[:'(]

Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM

Shhh...

I'm convinced if I don't say it it's not true...

~Mike

Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 PM

i'm fine with a front wheel drive turbo. look at the srt-4. i read that you can push 6psi with no problem. so go for it.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM

i hate the srt-4's, thats a bad comparison for me lol. if all your looking for is a highway beast then by all means go for it, but if you want to hook up on the track at all your gonna need to do a **** load of suspension work and everything like that too

Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM

your right there is always wider tires.lol

Old 11-07-2007, 02:24 PM

im not looking to make this a track beast man, but just an every day driven car, with boost. Who ever told me to drop 10k into it before turbo, needs to realize im not talkin anything over 8-10 PSI til i do get the new block and pistons/rods. But anyways, i knew that the vortec was a turbo with a pulley, called a super charger, thats why i dont want it, i dont like the idea of it. but anyways, if anyone can help me with a turbo kit i'd appreciate it, and thanks for all the input.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 PM

ya a supercharger isnt really anything like a turbo, unless you get whats called a centrifugal supercharger, which is a belt driven turbo. but a supercharger has usually 2 "screws" which force air into the intake when the engine is spinning at any speed. a turbo's power is controlled by the driver by what is called a boost controller and all you have to do is turn a **** (on a manual boost controller) or push a button (on an electronic boost controller). however on a supercharger, if you wanted to change the amount of boost (amount of air forced into the engine.. rated in PSI) on a supercharger, you would need to buy a new pulley and install it. not to mention super chargers are generally a lot more $$$

Old 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM

5k for turbo setup 5k for built engine. and a whole lotta other random **** to buy yea.. well over 10k im living proof.

Quick Reply: 2001 mits eclipse spyder gt turbo ?