3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

3g eclipse dying when I stop... Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Default RE: 3g eclipse dying when I stop... Please Help!

you gotta remove the entire upper part of the intake manifold to get to them

Old 03-14-2007, 10:16 PM

so you say.. you replaced the battery... it might be the maf being dirty.. or the TB being dirty also... and when you take the negitive off the batt.. your ecu will reset.. along with everything else.. give it about 100 to 200 miles for it to readjust it self.. it will cure itself... or you can clean the filter of the TB and your problem should be fixed... when you start the car.. she kinda feelslike shes going to stall and the rpm drop.. but when you have your foot on the gas a bit.. it stays up and running correct?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 PM

ecu was set back to default and doesnt know anything so it will have to adjust to what your getting.. what mods do you have on the car? it just might be the airfilter not letting the right amount of air for the ecu to keep the car running.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 AM

TO TAKE the manifold off.. 5 bolts in the back of it.. 5 bolts in the front.. remove TB and dissconncet the wires.. sounds easy.. but trust me.. that will take you a good 2 to 3 hours.. ifyou havnt done it before..

Old 03-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Oh, I don't doubt it will take a while. There are no performance mods on the car at all. You really think the ECU will naturally fix this problem? And it will take several hundred miles to do so? If that's true, it does sorta make sense because this did start when the battery died.You're sure of this? I will look over some of the other things in the meantime, but I'm hoping I won't have to pull the mani (we'll see). I'll keep track of how many miles it has gone in the meantime. Can anyone else confirm this diagnosis? Thanks for you help man. If that's what happened, you might have saved me a lot of time and money.
-Greg

Old 03-15-2007, 03:42 PM

well i do have a turbo car... and let me find a link to help you out... to back up my fix =D

Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 PM

here are some links that may help with your problem...

try disc your battery once again.. let it sit for 30 min.. that will reset the ecu...

Here are some links to help you find your problem out.

also are you throwing a SES light?

it could be theIdleAir Controller which i hope isnt.. dont mean to scare you but it could be.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86256

also your TB could be the issue.

this is how to clean the TB

Clean the throttle body with some TB cleaner on a clean lint free rag (an old white t-shirt works great). Do not spray the throttle body cleaner into the TB, as it can get into the holes going to and from the idle air control motor. Wrap the rag around your left hand, and open up the throttle body with your right hand. Clean the area around the throttle plate and the leading and trailing edge of the throttle plate. Take out the battery while you do it, to get better access. Removing the battery will also reset your ECU. Then remove your PCV valve and spray some TB cleaner in it. Shake it back and forth and tap the TB cleaner out onto a clean rag. You should hear the guts of the valve moving back and forth as you shake it. Do this until you get clean fluid coming out, and all the cleaner is out of the PCV valve. Once you get everything back together, start up the car and let it idle for at least 10 minutes with the lights and ac on. This allows the ECU to learn the target idle speed

Old 03-15-2007, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Gregory

Hi everyone!
I personally own a 1998 Eclipse GST, but that is not why I’m starting this thread. My girlfriend drives a 2000 Eclipse GT, and we’ve been having some idle problems ever since she left the keys in it and drained the battery a few days ago (I know, ugh). Well, I toped off the battery fluid with water and charged it back up to what I thought would be fine. It started fine and when I went to drive it, it dies when it comes to a stop. I thought maybe it wasn’t charged good enough, and it couldn’t keep spark at low RPMs since the alternator wasn’t producing enough power. After I charged it more and the problem persisted, I figured the battery was shot (it was the battery that the car came with when we bought it a half year ago). So we replaced the battery, and the problem persisted. Here’s the catch; if I manually raise the idle with my foot on the throttle (just a tiny bit), it eliminates all problems. The hesitation and the stalling are eliminated. So, I thought maybe I just need to raise the idle to a consistent 1k. As I’m reading though, the idle is very temperamental on these ECU dominated cars, so is that a bad idea? Will I be messing with fuel curves? If it is okay to raise, how do I do it? What appears to be the idle adjustment to me is a small screw that is very difficult to get to and is upside down to boot. I tried a small flathead, but can’t get it to work (but I was in the dark). Is it a Phillips? Please help! Thanks for any responses!
also... if you did replace the battery.... try checking the alternator.... that could be it.. and for the screw dont mess with it.. very bad idea and can mess up alot on the car.

theres a link right here to say no no to moving that screw.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 PM

You're a full of information, and I really appreciate it! You guys are awesome! I didn't try it yet, but she's on her way over with the car now. How do I check the alternator? Disconnect it and hook up a volt meter?
And to answer your question, is has not been throwing the SES light. (Fvew!)
I'm confused to why you told me you have a turbo car though, or were you just telling me that the cars are different?
-Greg

Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM

yeah.. i have a turbo car.. and i had that problem what you have now.. there might be a loose fitting like the air intake to the tb.. check that.. or check if the mas is connected. firmly.

Quick Reply: 3g eclipse dying when I stop... Please Help!