3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

3G Exhaust manifold removal help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Default 3G Exhaust manifold removal help

Hey guys, new here, great site

My GF has a 2003 Eclipse GT. I needed to replace the O2 sensor (bank 2 sensor 1), and stripped the threads in the process. I'm trying to remove the rear exhaust manifold to repair or replace the thing, and I'm having a hard time. Chiltons just says 1) remove heat shields, 2) remove manifold. [:'(] The bolt by the accessories (I guess its the water pump?) looks impossible to get out without removing something else. and I'm guessing that there are bolts on the top side of the exhaust that I can't see and if they are there, I don't have a clue how to get to.Furthermore, I'm not even sure i can get the manifold out because of the drive shaft. My mechanical experience is only on trucks so dealing with such cramped quarters is new to me. [&o] Any suggestions for how to go about dealing with this? And in case I have to bite the bullet, anyone know of a reputable mechanic in the Clearwater/Tampa/St. Pete FL area?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Jimmy

Old 12-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Default RE: 3G Exhaust manifold removal help

Wherw do you live down there? I used to live in Land O Lakes.

You might need to pull off the plenum to get to the head in teh rear and even then Im not sure if there is acess I know when doing header installs on those cars I think you do it from under the car

Old 12-22-2006, 11:48 PM

I live in Clearwater, by the beach. I love the warm weather, but when I'm working on the car in december and I'm dripping with sweat, I'd rather be in Denver

I want to change the spark plugs so I guess the plenum is coming off regardless. There have got to be bolts on the top side of the exhaust ports. I've been going at it from the bottom mostly, I can see four manifold bolts clearly. The thing thats got me stumped is that passenger side nut, I think maybe I can get at it with a pivoting rachet-wrench.. maybe.. not enough room for a socket and a universal joint.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully someone has some more insight to lend; I know someone on here has to have installed headers on this engine.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:57 PM

My gramps lives in clearwater, off of blecher and rte 19 actually in that area. I moved to Ma so no sweat for me these days. I had a 2002 GT and almost did headers but traded it before I got the chance so I dont want to leave invalid or misleading info without first hand experience

Old 12-28-2006, 08:07 PM

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] bump

so no one's done a header install on these cars [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 PM

If you have AIM then IM TearstonePS I know for a fact he did headers on his 3G GT before he went turbo crazy