3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

3G stalling at start up after replacing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Default 3G stalling at start up after replacing spark plugs

Hello all,

Just signed up for the forum, and I need to ask some important questions to see if anyone has experienced the issues I had today.

I spent much of today replacing the spark plugs in my 3G 2001 Eclipse 3.0L GT (Manual transmission). The plugs fit fine, and we successfully rebolted the plenum back together and rebuilt everything to how it was originally. However, when attempting to start the car, it would rev to about 2000 RPMs and then drop off and stall out. I am able to keep the engine engaged if I continue to rev the engine and keep the RPMs above 2000. The minute I take my foot off the gas, the RPMs drop and the car stalls.

During the work on then plenum, we did run into a problem:

1: We had some difficulty rebolting the two bolts in the back that connect the EGR pipe to the plenum. The threads did not properly line up and we had to fiddle with it to line it up to properly reattach it.

2: When lowering the plenum back into place, the three fuel injectors on the front of the plenum and cable rail did not properly line up immediately. These eventually were put into place, but I am wondering if there may be an issue there still.

Additionally, when starting the car up post spark plug replacement, there seems to be a ticking noise coming either from the throttle body or from a piece near the throttle body.

We are wondering if there may be something that was accidentally adjusted during our work that screwed up the car idle or throttle control, or if it is something a bit more serious related to the EGR valve/pipe, and/or the fuel injectors.

Hope this makes sense to someone. I'm going to try and figure this thing out tomorrow as well