3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

Advice on buying a 2001 GS Spyder Conv.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Default Advice on buying a 2001 GS Spyder Conv.

Okay, here's the deal. I found the car in burgundy and I absolutely, positively love it. It has 72K miles on it and my mechanic checked it out and said that it's in great shape. The only thing he found were two trouble codes stored in the computer memory - the purge valve and another code related to the fuel injection system. He said, however, that the light wasn't on because they are both two trip codes. And that it's possible the codes were tripped if the previous owner didn't tighten the gas lid enough.

It's what else he said that concerns me....

He said that Chrysler has redesigned the head gasket on Eclipses at least three times over the years, but that it still leaks every 30-40K miles. He said that the car has higher than average problems with the alternators. Also, that people have problems with the convertible top leaking. Obviously, these are all things that COULD happen, but still...he indicated that he's seen a lot of these cars, many different models, in the last 15 years. He's been a mechanic for almost 25 years and honestly, has no reason to mislead me because they only charge for their diagnostic work if their customer's actually BUY the car he's evaluated.

Here's the thing...I really want the car. I know that Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans may have better reps, but frankly they don't turn my head. I got in that car and man....

So...I'm here looking for feedback. Basically, I want to know is what he's said basically true or is the car getting a bad rap. These things that he's mentioned...are they things that happen now and then that I could prepare for or do preventative work and avoid surprises...or am I just excepting that, by buying the car, I'm going to be paying $300 in 6 months for an alternator, $700-1000 in a year for a head gasket, etc....

Quick, honest feedback would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I want to make a decision by Monday.

THANKS!!!!!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Advice on buying a 2001 GS Spyder Conv.

well the GS eclipe comes with a mitsubishi 4g64 engine. The head gasket problem was known for the 2g N/T engines. Ive havnt really heard too many bad things about the 3g's. However there have been in the last week a couple people on here looking to try and fix a leak with the convertible top. And there are easy cheap ways to fix them. Not sure if its a reocurring problem but its something that any removable/convertible top can have. I dont think its a car defect or anything

Old 08-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Default RE: Advice on buying a 2001 GS Spyder Conv.

see my post in your other thread.
and I suggest you dont post multiple threads in multiple sections. It's kinda annoying.