3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

A/C problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Question A/C problems

1. I have a 3rd generation 2001 Mitsubishi Spyder Eclipes GS, 3.0 liter engine. I have about 150K on it. I have an erg valve problem that I think needs to be replaced. My other problem is that my A/C doesn't work properly. When the car is running or at idle with the A/c on, the car wants to die. The A/C just pulls so much from the engine it won't run. The little green light on the controller blinks when either the heater or A/C is running. When the problem started, I had a bad connection on my battery. This has since been fixed. That is when the idling problem started and the A/C problem started. It was blowing cold air after that It only blows warm or hot air. The heater works fine. I have a check engine light on constantly. The car runs great as long as I don't run the A/C. Can anyone out there give me a starting point to start my troubleshooting and to tell a mechanic where to start to get this fixed. Is this a vaccum problem caused by the faulty ERG valve?
Thanks for any help

Jim

Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

If the egr is stuck open at idle it will make the car stall, you could also have an issue where the a/c compressor could be seized and w/ the a/c on it makes the car stall.